I thought yesterday about the number of books I've been reading over the past two months. I realized that I've read all 5 of the Percy Jackson books, six of the nine No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency books, all 5 of the Fablehaven books (the last one just came out. LOVED it), the Twilight series -- four books -- twice, and the first two Harry Potter books (decided I needed to reread the series again). Twenty-six books in two months. I thought I read a lot in college, but I think I must have beaten whatever semester record I had there. Oh, wait. Twenty-seven books. Owen coaxed me into reading a book I gave him for his birthday called The Last Apprentice. That was a good one too. And after taking the kids to the Fablehaven book release party last week (which was totally cool until it was time to go home) and getting to see Shannon Hale in person, I think I need to reread her Bayern books again and get the newest one called Forest Born. She is hilarious in person. She also has several other books that I think I'm going to read too, recommended by my sister. My book reading wish list is getting long.
My husband and I spent half of our date last Saturday night at Barnes & Noble. We don't actually walk around together to compare books or anything, but we each usually find something we'd like to read. I found the fifth book in the Thursday Next series in the bargain books section, so I got it. I love hardcover books, and it makes me cross to be asked to pay $9 for a paperback book printed on cheap, crummy paper. Fortunately this is in hardcover. The Thursday Next series is for true bibliophiles because Thursday is a literary detective of a very unique sort: she can travel in time and into the stories in books and interact with the characters. In the first novel in the series Thursday has to work inside and outside the novel Jane Eyre to figure out who kidnapped Jane Eyre and consequently ruined everyone's copies of the book. Intriguing, clever concept. The language can be a bit salty, but the adventures are an amazing good ride. Jasper Fforde has started a companion series called the Nursery Crime Adventures about another type of literary detective dealing with crime involving nursery rhyme characters.
So what are you reading right now? What kinds of books do you like? Any recommendations?
4 comments:
OOH, you make me want to read more. I've got to get on it. Shannon Hale is in my stake and I see her at the gym each morning, she enjoys the elyptical over any other cardio machine - just an FYI :) Of course, she has no idea who I am ...
I'm so jealous Kara! I am just about to put her website on my favorite links list, and here you are talking about her. Grab your library card or head to your nearest bookstore and get reading!!
Mmmm, you make me want to curl up with one of your picks today. Right now I'm reading with the twins the first of the Chronicles of Narnia - The Magicians Nephew.
I just re-read the last two Harry Potter books. I finally saw the Half Blood Prince and I remembered things that were in the book so I just had to reread.
Post a Comment