Sunday, March 21, 2010

Family Workday at Grandma and Grandpa's House

I took all of my kids to work in my parents' yard for an afternoon and do some service. Both of my older boys have to have service hours for Scouts, and I wanted to have some help doing some of the yardwork. The afternoon started out on the chilly side. I was so glad I'd brought my sweatshirt. Bronwyn wins the Hardest Worker award by staying on task all afternoon and working at everything I asked her to do. Liam wins the Second Hardest Worker award, while Evan and Owen tie for the I Helped When I Wasn't Teasing My Brother award. We finished up pruning the peach tree I had started on a few days ago, got the lawn fertilized for spring (that Scott's crabgrass preventer stuff has a nasty yellow dust in it that gets on EVERYTHING. Both Owen and I ended up with facial smudges, although Owen had the worst of it because he actually did the spreading around), pruned the other peach tree, pruned all of the roses (I was doubly glad for long sleeves and leather gloves for that job, although one of the roses bit me on the leg when I moved carelessly), and raked up leaves. The neighbors graciously allowed me to fill one of their two garbage cans with yard waste once we had filled up the one for my parents. We took a lunch break and ate sandwich stuff we had brought from home. The reward for all of their hard work? Watching New Moon, which I had just purchased, on the cool movie system. AND we got to see my sister Heather and her family, who popped by for a visit.

Bronwyn trims twigs off the big peach tree branches so they will fit in the garbage.

Owen helped finish cutting off the big branches that were just a bit out of my reach. He is so strong.

There's the newly pruned peach tree to the right of the dogwoods. I took to heart some pruning advice given by a friend: You know you've pruned enough if you can toss a cat through the tree without hitting any branches.

There's the other peach tree in the corner. I only did a little bit of snipping on the really long grape vines. Otherwise I left most of them alone.

Liam and Evan working on cutting twigs off. Liam is using a pair of tin snips we brought from home. They don't do too badly. I should get myself another pair of pruners. Then I can have more help at home with the pruning!

2 comments:

Lauri said...

Ooooo. So impressive. Love your garden know-how. thanks for sharing tips and hints along the way. And way to organize the 'troops'. THAT is no small thing - even compared to pruning a peach tree.

Sherie Christensen said...

Thanks for stopping by the other day and for commenting on my blog. Also, I love the picture of the tulips and that you have your kids helping you do service. Great job.