Tomorrow is the first day of school for my family. Everyone -- my husband, my children, and our new foreign exchange student -- will all begin classes. The children excitedly put together some school supplies from what I had on hand in a "school supply" bin. There were some brand-new supplies and a lot of still-usable stuff left over from last year. Hopefully there won't be as much school supply shopping to do this year. Although it's late, the kids are almost too keyed up to go to sleep. L. is insisting he's afraid of monsters and he wants to sleep in his sister's room. We'll see where everyone is sleeping when I go upstairs in a few minutes.
Our Chinese exchange student arrived last night. We drove up to the airport to pick her up and B. had decorated a nice sign with Pengbo's name on it. We missed a grand entrance because the arrivals monitor wasn't accurate. Justin finally noticed a familiar-looking young lady pulling a couple of very heavy rolling suitcases passed us. He greeted her and then we got to hold up the sign. Sigh. I really wish we could still go the gate in the airport. It would make things much more simple. Pengbo will be staying with us this year and going to Justin's school.
I think it's going to be a good year. I'm nervous for my children because they're all starting something completely different and new. Tonight, though, they just seem excited, even B., who was devastated to find out on Thursday that she and her best friend will not be in the same class together this year. She almost refused to go meet her teacher and spent a couple hours being quite teary. I felt so sorry for her. She's missing the comfort zone of her old school. I'm going to be watching the kids very carefully for the next few weeks to help them adjust as smoothly as I can help them to to a new place/class/teachers/building/schedule.
No comments:
Post a Comment