Friday, August 29, 2008

A bit of this and that...

Here is the first major harvest of the season. I actually got edible grapes this year. These are Himrod, and it's the first year this vine has produced. I also got a couple small clusters of grapes from my Niagara variety. The Concords are coming on well -- fat and plentiful. They haven't started changing colors yet. The chickens are being lazy. We only got one egg yesterday and one the day before...maybe they're just slowing down for the season. I discovered these tomatoes quite by accident when I was working with my four tomato vines on Wednesday...
The tomato vines were trying to conquer the whole garden. They had encompassed my poor apple tree. What a welcome it's had to my garden! There certainly wasn't a "Book of Mormon" distance between these plants...positively immoral, if you ask me. Anyway, I built these supports out of scrap lumber we had laying around in the garden (the old Superman stage piece has become a Super Supporter of things agricultural). The frame on the left was easy to build because the side supports were the same length and I could easily get to the vines. The frame on the right, however, was a right stinker to put together. I had to pull nails out of the 2x4's, nail a smaller board to two longer ones to create one great big one the right length. And then I had to take out a wild sunflower shrub next to the fence to even get to the backside of the box. I'm guessing these are trailing/vining tomatoes. You can't even see the neat, small tomato cages they started out with. Anyhow, as I was tying the vines up I discovered three small ripe tomatoes. The first one ended up in yesterday's sandwich. Mmmmm.
Don't we all look happy to be getting out of the car at Cove Fort? B. was positively thrilled about getting out to walk around. Cove Fort is a cool place to visit, if you can overlook the frequent little Moral Moments the missionary couples throw into their historical descriptions. This was back at the beginning of August, on our way back from the Shakespeare Festival.
Welcome to Pengbo, our Chinese exchange student living with us this year. We missed seeing her come down the stairs by the baggage claim, so we missed getting to hold up the sign B. had made. Justin noticed her walking around lugging two enormous wheeled suitcases. I felt bad we hadn't helped her get them off the carousel. She's having a great time so far here, and the kids love having her here.
Enjoy this picture of the kids on the first day of school. They always look so much more grown up on that first of school than they did even the day before. They have a much wider variety of clothing colors and options this year. B. is excited she gets to wear pink to school.
Remember what I said about enjoying the back-to-school picture? Well, the above two pictures of B. and E. were taken last weekend at Millcreek Canyon. Of course, we had a lovely time roasting hot dogs and marshmallows, eating yummy corn on the cob, and visiting. And the kids had a marvelous time getting back to Nature and enjoying the nearby creek quite thoroughly. Nothing like being soaked from head to toe. A nice mud pack goes a long way to rejuvenate the skin too, don't you think? Thank heavens for the modern conveniences of showers and washing machines. Everybody got in the shower before getting into bed that night.

2 comments:

Sherie Christensen said...

The pictures were great. The first one was especially artistic. Way to stage your fresh grown food! The back to school pic was lovely. Did you have an easy time finding pants this morning? I hope so.

Lauri said...

What a beautiful harvest - kids and produce! I could just eat them all up!