Lest you think that all I do is philosophize here, I can report that there are far more lively things going on around here than that! Last Monday we took the kids up a nearby canyon to camp overnight. We went to the Diamond campground, a local one that I really enjoy. It's very large, probably 40 or more improved campsites by a river. Since it was a Monday, we pretty much had the campground to ourselves. Everyone helps load up the van (okay, well, mostly). And everyone helped unload. O. and E. got to put up the tent -- without too much squabbling this time. Justin worked on getting coals going. Did you know the cheap WalMart brand matchlight charcoal sometimes doesn't light? At all? Luckily I had purchased a couple of brand-new bags so that wasn't a total loss. I worked on getting the food into the dutch ovens: Scout Chicken, with Shrimp; Justin's 'Taters; and Raspberry Cobbler. E. does the cobbler every time with Justin. That's *his* dish. Once we got the dutch ovens stacked, I flopped in a chair while Justin took the kids down to the river to throw rocks. It was so relaxing to watch little finches and other unidentifiable-by-me birds flitting through the trees. A near-by cricket decided it was safe enough from humans to chirp. And I just sat and listened. And breathed. I love breathing up in the mountains.
Dinner was delicious. E. and L. decided they loved the shrimp, once they were coaxed into trying it. B. wasn't so sure she liked it. The weather cooperated with us and it cooled off in the night, but wasn't too cold. B. was worried about bears for a while as we were trying to fall asleep (and I was a little anxious about it myself but I didn't say so), but soon everyone dozed off. It was a quiet night except for a sinus headache that kept at me most of the night, but oh well.
We fixed a hot breakfast of bacon and eggs and some store-bought mini-doughnuts. Cleaned up our campsite. Went home. BATHED.
Justin took O. that evening off on another campout and fishing trip. They drove several hours to Flaming Gorge and the Green River. O. came home the next evening with a family friend who had also gone out, and he had had a wonderful time. This was a guided fishing trip, and O. was thrilled about the big fish he caught -- a beautiful brown, and even a cut-bow. That means he's earned his fishing merit badge.
We are so lucky to live here.
1 comment:
I'm behind on comments so I'll just say that "Come, Come Ye Saints" has gotten me through tough pregnancies and hard days. I love that hymn. I'm glad you got to breath some lovely cool mountain air and watch some birds -- that sounds great.
Post a Comment