Monday, August 18, 2008

Well, They're At School

Okay, I successfully got everyone off to school this morning. It started at 5 a.m., making sure Pengbo was up (she didn't need a reminder from me after all). Justin took a little longer to get himself going (so much for getting out the door at 6 a.m.), but when he went upstairs to get ready, B. came downstairs to get her clothes she had set out. Justin and Pengbo left in plenty of time to get to their school. Then all of the rest of our kids were dressed and ready by 7 a.m. School doesn't start until 8:45 for them, but O. has to go early to catch the shuttle to his school. There is something about seeing children wearing their new (especially uniform) clothes for the first day of school that suddenly makes them seem more older. O. was so handsome in his navy blue polo shirt and khaki trousers, shirt nicely tucked in, hair combed. He looked so much more grown-up. It was easy to picture him being a few years older. The other kids all chose to wear khaki pants as well, since they've only ever had the option of navy in the past. E. also wore his navy blue polo and he even put on a belt without being reminded. I only wish he hadn't lost his shoelaces. They've been AWOL for months and months. Of course we took the ritual First Day of School Pictures on the front steps. Once O. got picked up by a neighbor to go catch his shuttle, the other kids spent the next 45 minutes nagging me about when it was time to go. I tried reading them the first chapter of Anne of Green Gables to take their minds off the molasses-slow clock.

When we arrived, finally, at school the kids ran in ahead of me into the building. Even B., who I was most worried about after last week, seemed excited to get to her classroom. We dropped E. off first in his fourth grade class. He gets to have a man teacher for the first time. I think it will be very good for him. E. was worrying about whether he would make any friends on this first day. L. kept tugging on my arm to go down to his class. He wasn't nervous or worried at all. He couldn't wait to go. B. was a little more apprehensive about walking into her new room, but she was more calm and even smiling when I left.

I learned where not to park from now on when I take the kids to school. Trying to back out with the drop-off lane right behind me was hampered by cars attempting to skirt the drop-off queue, leaving me little maneuvering space. I'll park elsewhere tomorrow.

Now that I'm home, the house is too quiet. There are lots of things I need to get done today, and I will work on them, but this beginning of the year is a bit of an adjustment for me. I know our schedule will leap into high gear once I begin teaching again in September, but just for today, I think I'm a little lonesome.

No comments: