Well, I'm declaring a tie with Mother Nature this year. My little garden boxes are coming along well and I think I'm keeping up with the weeding in them. The tomato plants are getting bushy and even showing a few flowers. Now if it will just cool off a pinch so they can set fruit. My two new apple trees look like they've settled in well, as well as my corkscrew willow. The weeping Serbian spruce is waiting to be planted, and I finally picked the spot. I was going to take out what appeared to be a dead Norway maple, but that tree fooled me and started sprouting like crazy from the base. Now I don't have the heart to pull it out.
The peaches and grapes are coming along well. I got up early yesterday and today and worked on thinning peaches. It just about kills me to pull off healthy-looking little green peaches, but I know if I don't then all of the peaches will be apricot-sized, which is dreadful when it comes canning time. You try peeling thousands of little peaches! I'm actually going to have enough grapes this year to make jelly! Woohoo. Now I just need a juicer.
Mother Nature wins in the raspberry patch, though. It's about completely taken over with quack grass. Evil stuff. And while I finally killed out most of the morning glory in the main garden, it's too late to plant anything out there, darn it. Hopefully my seeds will keep until next year.
2 comments:
Wow, you are amazing!
It sounds like your doing well with your garden. The quack grass, morning glory, alfalfa, and milk weed have taken over our garden. I think it needs to be torched but it's a little too close to the house:) We did get strawberries this year which Dan loved and I suspect our raspberries will make it too.
Post a Comment