Monday, July 7, 2008

Jackson and Yellowstone

Some of the family at Canyon Village in Yellowstone. My whole side of the family got to go. My children got to know second cousins they have never met and made better friends with cousins they already knew.

Some things I learned on this trip:
1. Do not try to speed to catch up with the lead driver. Police officers are always there. (Thankfully I was just given a warning. PHEW!)

2. Marshmallow shooters are probably not the best idea because you have to clean up all of the marshmallows shot in order to avoid attracting bears, which in turn could lead to them being shot.

3. Generic Fluffy Pancake mix works great.

4. Bring more mosquito spray than you think you will need.

5. Ditto for water bottles. You can never have enough water along.

6. Crayola watercolor pencils are great for face painting.

7. Allow plenty of relax time for visiting and horsing around.

8. Electric coffee makers are great for heating water for hot chocolate and instant oatmeal. Yum.

9. Do not ever speed or do anything wrong in small towns. Small town cops have a snotty attitude towards unwary tourists (ask my sister and her husband about this one).

10. And always, always, double-check the DVD player bag to make sure you have all the right cables INSIDE the bag before leaving.


The middle picture above is me and my cousin Sherrie, whom I haven't seen in too long and with whom I fully intend to write to regularly. So good to see you Sherrie!

At left, here we are in Jackson, Wyoming. Ultimately, quite touristy, but so fun to walk around. I have fond memories of being here as a child.

The reunion was wonderful, with skits re-enacting various episodes from my grandparents' lives, plenty of talking and laughing and catching up, seeing stunning natural beauty, watching wildlife amble slowly past our car (one buffalo was so close that if he had swung his head an inch further he would have banged it on our van), and hilarious singing and story-telling. My children didn't want to come home. I wasn't quite ready for the trip to be over either. Thanks to Mom and Dad, my sisters and their families, and my aunt and uncle and my cousins for such a wonderful, memorable trip. I can't wait until we get together again. Family Rules!

1 comment:

Sherie Christensen said...

Hi! I'm glad you're back and glad you had a safe, fun time with your family. Your picture of your room looks nice too.