Sunday, May 24, 2009

Memorial Day

It's been an eventful Memorial Day weekend so far. My family traditionally goes to the cemeteries where we have family buried to clean up their graves and leave flowers. When we were young my mother and grandmother would bring cut flowers from their yards -- iris (or "flags" as my grandmother would call them) and peonies and whatever else was in bloom. Now my mother buys small potted chrysanthemums at the grocery store. We still bring our own hooks made from metal hangers to anchor them upright. This year we had quite the crew with us. My aunt and uncle and one of my cousins and his wife. We met for breakfast at IHOP and then trekked to four and a half cemeteries.

If you look closely you will see a herd of deer in this cemetery...Mount Olivet. This herd resides in the cemetery year-round. My great-great-grandmother is buried here.


L. and B. cozy up to my great-grandparents. L. gets his middle name from my great-grandfather.
B. and E. visit President Gordon B. Hinckley's grave in City Cemetery. He and his wife Marjorie are close to my great-aunt, as is another former president of the Church: David O. McKay.

This is where my sister and my maternal grandparents are buried. When we were little there were many debates over who got to wield the grass clippers and the dandelion digger. There weren't any such battles this time. Everyone got a chance who wanted one.


All I have to say is I never fully appreciated what boys will do to attract attention. Look closely at his forehead. I guess Sunday evenings just aren't that exciting around here without a few snails. My sister Alisa used to tell about her girls playing with snails down in San Diego and they didn't even mind smashing them up. But I don't think any of them ever tried to wear one.

3 comments:

Alisa said...

Anna, Anna, Anna, You forget the ingenuity and lack of gross out factor for 3 and 4 year olds. Bethany used to line them up on her arms. Ick!!!! They used to do snail art up and down the railings of my deck. Weird kids!

Susan said...

My mom and her family used to go to the cemetary on Memorial Day when she was a little girl. One year I was visiting my grandmother and I went along with her. I had never done that before and I really enjoyed spending time with her and seeing my great-grandparents' graves. Unfortunately everyone has either moved away or has passed away so the tradition has gone away. I'm glad it's still going strong in your family. www.cranesinca.blogspot.com

Lauri said...

What a great day!