Sunday, May 17, 2009

Few Cyber Updates Means More Real Life

Since the weather suddenly decided to be warm and dry(er) I've been out in my yard attacking weeds and spring gardening projects with (sometimes) reckless abandon. My muscles haven't been too appreciative, but I just keep telling them to suck it up. The sprinkler system basically works, aside from a few fountain nozzles. I'll get to those this week. I even bought pea gravel to put around my vegetable garden beds, but that's looking like a bit more of a project than I thought to get everything ready. I went nursery hopping alone and with friends over a week ago, and last week I got busy and did something about these flats of flowers everyone was tripping over:

My porch-planter-that-used-to-be-a-fountain has been booby-trapped. Notice the wood kebab skewers in the bottom tier...Kitty got used to using this as her personal potty during the winter (gee, so convenient: no snow to dig in or squat in, covered and protected from the elements. I shan't be so accommodating in the future!). She decided she didn't mind the enhanced floral elements, but I wasn't so impressed. After three increases of booby-trapping, I think we have found the one that will keep her out. I'm hoping the double-impatiens and pansies will grow enough to hide the skewers.

The kitchen nursery has graduated to the front porch for hardening off. I think I've lost one pepper plant, but that's okay by me. I've 30+ others to cover for it. I don't know that I would try the four-in-one gallon jug plantings again, though. They've done alright, but they're hard to fill with dirt and the soil kept getting white stuff on the top that looked a little like mold. Once I get ground ready these babies will graduate to the yard.


These are the last tulips to bloom in my yard, and they are the tallest.

I love going out to Thanksgiving Point and dreaming about what I could do with my yard if I had a volunteer gardening force that didn't need bribery, threats, or downright coercion and if I had lots of money and if I could spend all of my time in my yard instead of stuff like laundry, cooking, grocery shopping, cleaning bathrooms, picking up the same toy twenty times, or anything else. I would probably miss out on some reading to my children, watching movies with my friends, seeing my piano students master something difficult, or having tickle wars first thing on a Sunday morning. Anyway, I got to go to the Tulip Festival with my parents. It was chilly at first in the morning, but it was glorious anyway. Sigh. Awesome company. Gorgeous flowers.


And here is a sample of what I *could* do with my yard. Maybe someday. In a smaller yard. Don't think I'd have room, though, for 200,000 plus bulbs.

No comments: