
I finally put up a bird feeder in the tree outside my kitchen window. I bought it on sale last fall, but it just took up space in my kitchen all winter. Well, it's been loaded and hanging for a couple of weeks, along with a hummingbird feeder I just put out today. We've had house finches, sparrows, lazuli buntings, Western tanagers, robins, and even a meadow lark in to visit.

I hadn't seen a lazuli bunting (above) before this year. I keep my (ready for the stuffy-sounding name?) Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Birds Western Edition by my kitchen window so I can look up newcomers I don't recognize. I'm learning that it's not the conclusive edition, but it has wonderful color plates of enough birds to be very useful.The house finches are messy. They've now left quite a pile of birdseed on the ground underneath the feeder. Who do they think is going to clean up that mess?
No comments:
Post a Comment