Thursday, May 29, 2008

I love spring


One of my favorite things about spring is the return of so many songbirds. I love leaving my bedroom window open at night so I hear the first birds singing around 4:30 a.m. Later in the morning (before 7 or 8 a.m.) I can hear meadowlarks exchanging calls and robins chirping in my ash tree. This year we have had a number of orioles visiting our yard. They seem attracted to the left-over berries on my cotoneasters along the back of the house. They are gorgeous! I used to think that orioles only populated the East...you know...as in Baltimore orioles. But there is actually a western variety here and they are so striking. This is a picture I found on the Hogle Zoo website (www.hoglezoo.org).
Oh, it's time to leave for the movies. I'm taking the younger three kids to see the newest Narnia movie, while O. and his best friend are going to see the newest Indiana Jones movie at the same time, same theater, different screen. How convenient is that? I'll try to post my review.

1 comment:

Sherie Christensen said...

Hey! I have a western bird book and I will have to look up Orioles. I haven't seen any yet. We need more bird seed. So far I've mainly seen finches. The bright yellow ones are gorgeous and we like the red headed ones too. I saw a blue bird of some sort once but couldn't positively identify it. It wouldn't pose for me long enough. Go figure.