Well, I spent Tuesday traipsing about three of our area's nurseries...for four hours...with my neighbor to introduce her to the wonders of shrubbery and bright flora. By the time we were done I was ready to sit down in the middle of the last nursery and just eat a flat of bedding plants because my legs were tired and I was hungry! We saw several flats of portulaca (moss rose to some) that looked like a green shag carpet with tissue paper flowers in them. Both of us wanted to just buy a flat and plop it on our kitchen tables "as is." The lovely thing about the sundial mix portulaca is that they have a huge variety of brilliant colors coming off the same plant. Of course, I didn't come home empty handed, either, and spent some time yesterday afternoon starting to fill my planter pots with new blooms I bought on Tuesday. I got started on another planter and realized that I didn't have the color or type of plant that I wanted for the top level (I'm using my three-level triangle-shaped fountain as a planter this year since it won't stay full of water in the height of summer and it's full of hard water crusties; pulled out the water pump to save for something else and voila! New planter). So I called up another neighbor today and we went nursery hopping for something(s). We also stopped at Glade's Drive In for milkshakes and fries for lunch. Nope. Not in the least healthy. I don't feel even a glimmer of guilt. I'm being brave and attempting to grow a couple of fancy-schmancy begonias. Since they don't like cold, they're going to have to wait a couple of weeks before they get potted outside. They'll be spending nights tucked into a nice, cozy box in my kitchen. Soon I will post (I almost said "tomorrow," but I know that's not going to happen) some pictures of my pots. Maybe we will get lucky and it will be tomorrow. Ha ha.
Of course, all of this container gardening is my way of putting off stuff like laundry... dishes... housework in general. I would also much rather have my hands in a pot of soil than go grocery shopping, figure out what's for dinner, or pay bills. Or organize my food storage. Or sort through the kids' toy boxes filled with stuff they don't use. Heaven to me is a toss-up between a nursery and a book store.
4 comments:
Hmm. I wonder what "heaven" would be like for me? I think it would seriously depend on the day though I enjoy book stores and nurseries if I have a huge line up of books at home I want to read, or am feeling poor, I don't enjoy the bookstore so much. I enjoy nurseries too but if I think about the fact that I'll likely accidentally kill anything I take home I mostly enjoy looking and enjoying how well they look where they are.
Very impressive, Anna. I wish I had the zest and zeal for gardening like you do. The last few nights at 7:30 or 8:00 when my daughter finally went to sleep, I noticed several of my neighbors out working in their yard. I thought about it briefly, then went downstairs to watch a movie with my husband or read a book. That's why my yard looks the way it does.
Libraries and Nurseries - I'm with you, Anna! (and how are the raspberries this year?)
Lauri,
My raspberries are very sad. Quack grass is taking over everything in my yard, including those. I'm thinking about salvaging a few starts and then just spraying Round-Up over everything...sigh.
Anna
Post a Comment