Thursday, May 15, 2008

Sigh...

I guess every week can't be filled with thrilling, exciting things like new plants in pots. This week is a muddling through kind of week. It's my last full week of piano teaching for a while (there are three days of teaching next week and then a break and then one month of teaching a couple of mornings). There have been many frustrating moments (or half or whole days?) and there have been some great moments...

Monday or Tuesday I sent O. out to the deep freezer in the garage to retrieve some bread for sandwiches and he came in to tell me that the freezer was warm and the bread was all thawed. Of course, that meant lots of other things were thawed as well: 20 quart pouches of peaches, frozen peas, orange juice, hamburger, freezer jam...a few bags of ice. I guess there was enough frozen stuff in there though, that kept the bigger, more solid meat items from melting. I haven't had time to go out there and throw away what needs to be tossed...too much other Life Stuff going on.

Yesterday I became the official chapter president of my music teacher's chapter. I get to do this for the next two years. Part of me is excited to be doing this because I love working with the teachers in our chapter, and the state organization is really amazing too. Another part of me just deep sighs and feels like it's one more responsibility to manage.

There have been some great things happen. My parents came down to visit me on Tuesday and Dad brought me a Mac computer that he doesn't need any more. The impetus for that was our home teacher was getting rid of an older Power Mac that he didn't want any more and when I told my dad about it, he decided that if I were really going to get into the world of Macintosh that I needed a much more recent computer and OS than this other computer was going to give me. I'm so excited to get to learn how to use one. Dad spent part of the morning getting it up and running for me while my mom noticed I had piles of laundry that needed folding and some dishes that needed washing. It's something I love about my parents: they see someone with a need and they just jump right in to help. And they have always shown they love me by doing these kinds of things for me. I love getting to spend time with them. After we finished up with computer and cleaning things, we had a quick lunch on our way to my daughter's school where she was getting a couple of regional awards for the state Arbor Day poster contest. She was pretty thrilled to get more goodies: a tote bag, tee shirt, hand shovel (with her name on it!), garden gloves...O. made the comment that he thought she was getting a little spoiled by all of this. Everyone gets their time in the sun, and this just happens to be B.'s.

So, Tuesday was a really good day. I love my family. I love music. They keep me going. See? When you start counting your blessings and looking for the good things in your life, you can always find them. It just takes sitting for a moment to notice.

3 comments:

Anna said...

this post was so good for me to read! it really is amazing the things you can think to be thankful for when you just take the time to come up with them! thanks for your comment on my blog. monticello is so great - and tell justin that george wythe college is moving their campus from cedar city to here in 'cello'. laura and adam would know more about that, but it's just another option! :) love you guys!

Sherie Christensen said...

Your parents sound nice. I have nice parents and parents-in-law. I was a tad embarrassed when my Mom in law came by when I was sick yesterday and the house looked horrible. Somehow I should have worked even though I felt yucky right? Or done it the day before instead of read that book. But she just felt sorry that I was sick and probably won't remember the disaster. She's too nice for that. She had to go or no doubt she'd have whipped the house into shape fast.

Becca said...

Hi Anna, I love reading all of your posts. You have such a great way of writing. Your garden projects sound great. Do you think that you could come up and take control of mine? Ha Ha. Thank you for reminding me to sit and remember all that is a blessing in my life. Let's get together soon!