Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Perching Lessons

Bronwyn decided the chicks needed to start practicing how to perch. This is as good a use for a golf club as any I can think of. They're four-and-a-half weeks old now. Welcome to scruffy teenager stage.

Bronwyn is our resident poultry trainer.

Because the chicks are more than twice the size they were four weeks ago we had to expand their home and move them out of the kitchen. Welcome to Pullet Palace!

Talk about re-using stuff. I'm glad I saved the child safety gate for something. This keeps the family cat out as much as it keeps the chicks in.
In other urban farming news, I've got my peas, lettuce, garlic, and onion seeds planted. The garlic sets are looking pathetic out there, so I don't know if they'll make it or not. I guess a March snow storm will do that. I've started tomatoes, herbs, and peppers in my kitchen. And marigolds. I can't have a garden without marigolds. This year I decided to make all of my own planting pots out of newspaper, since I have an abundance of that and I can just pop the whole little pot in the ground when they're ready to go outside. I think I'm pretty late for starting seeds indoors this year. We're supposed to have gorgeous weather here for the next three days, so I'm hoping to get a pickup load of compost from a local dairy dumped on my garden to dig in.

Gotta get my chicken run fixed too. Owen, Bronwyn, and I pulled most of the old one apart so I can rebuild it. That's got to happen before our new flock can take up residence. Hopefully that will be sooner rather than later.

My beehives will be arriving mid-April, in time for me to paint them and get them ready for The Ladies coming at the end of April. Hopefully they'll bee fit for a queen!

4 comments:

Kara said...

I love reading your "farm" reports Anna. You are one busy bee yourself

Lauri said...

Anna's almanac! I love it.

Sherie Christensen said...

I like the pictures. You are one adventurous urban farmer.

Kobe Family said...

All I can say is Wow! What type of chickens do you have and would you recommend other breeds? Just need to get my info from those who know there business!