Tuesday, March 15, 2011

If You Blink You'll Miss It

Checking our little chicks every morning is like watching a time lapse movie. These little fluff balls seem to change even from early morning to evening. If I have calculated correctly these chicks are now two weeks old yesterday. They arrived on a Wednesday at IFA and the chicken farms ship the chicks when they are no more than a day old. This may seem heartless, but the chicks travel better newly hatched because they will still have nourishment from the yolk sac for about 48 hours and won't need to eat anything else in that time. I guessed the chicks were most likely born the previous Monday. Regardless of how far they had to travel, I'm just going to stick with a February 28 birthday. They changed quite a bit from the fuzzy creatures they were. They are speeding into adolescence! Just like my kids. Sigh. Anyway, here's a visual update:


They're good little flyers too, and if the lid is left off for more than a minute or two we turn around to find a little bird perched right on the edge of the brooder box. I think they're going to need new space very soon. It sometimes sounds like chicken WWF going on in there -- lots of bumping, jumping, and chirping noises. I'll be sad when their little voices change from the little high-pitched peeps to throatier squawks.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

I'm surprised by how quickly they are growing. Wow.