Tuesday, March 22, 2011

I Know This Would Be Good for Me, But....

Sigh. You know how there are things you know you SHOULD be doing because they're good for you and they'll help you live a long and healthy life (because after all, what's the point of living a long life if you can't get out of bed and dig in the dirt and wrestle with your kids and go camping and stuff), but it is just so hard to make yourself do them? I can do the eating right thing. Well, mostly. Baking is hard for me to resist. As opposed to cooking, which is what one does for dinner. But getting out of the chair to go exercise? UGH. I've been puzzling over this for a while now. It's not that I'm averse to physical activity. But to go on a walk, when it's cold and possibly wet outside for the sake of increasing my heart rate for 30 minutes and getting an earache to boot just does not inspire me. This is kind of weird, because I spent hours every week ballroom dancing in college. There was a year when, as a member of the BYU Ballroom Tour Team, I spent more hours in rehearsal, wearing two-inch heels, than I spent eating, sleeping, doing homework, working part-time or going to my academic classes .... combined. That was my first year. We were preparing for the British Formation Championships in Blackpool England. I didn't mind then. Relished it even, including the aching feet and sore muscles.

So why is it so hard to get off my duff now? I don't particularly like how being more sedentary makes me feel. I can tell I have lost muscle strength, although I keep rationalizing that will come back some with yardwork calling my name. Part of the problem, I think, is that it just feels like One More Thing. Don't moms already have enough to do? Agh. I'm not going to rehash all of the "you'll be a better mom if you're feeling fit" arguments versus the "how on earth do I fit one more thing on my To Do list" arguments. The mental tennis match continues.

Today I am just going to get out there and go for a walk around the fields. Put something on to protect my ears and fingers and go. There.

No comments: