In other news, my daughter B. won several awards for her Arbor Day poster. She won best First Grade Poster for our region (Utah, Salt Lake, and Tooele counties), Best Region
Thursday, April 24, 2008
Transplants Coming Along and Other News
I'm seeing good success so far from my little seed nursery in the kitchen. So far th
e peat pots I filled with soil have sprouted better than the peat pellet pots that you have to soak in water so they swell or the 5 oz. dixie cups filled with dirt. Also, on the old seed front, I have actually had some of the old seeds sprout. No news on the lemongrass, columbine, cilantro, sweet peas, or sensitive plant. I have also had good luck putting a sheet of plastic wrap lightly over the top of the seed pots to help keep them warm during the day and keep moisture in. I've also learned a spray bottle works well to dampen soil without disturbing seeds that practically need a microscope to be seen. I planted a packet of sweet peas this morning that had been soaking overnight. These seeds are for this year, so I'm optimistic about their chances.
In other news, my daughter B. won several awards for her Arbor Day poster. She won best First Grade Poster for our region (Utah, Salt Lake, and Tooele counties), Best Region
Poster, and Best First Grade Poster in the state. Tuesday we went up to the state capitol to participate in the state awards ceremony where she got to meet Smokey the Bear and Woodsey Owl, help plant the state Arbor Day tree, and get some nice goodies (a bristlecone pine seedling, a tee shirt, a signed certificate, and a nice gift card to a local nursery, as well as her framed poster). The state did a beautiful job matting and framing each winning poster. B. hasn't been able to leave her framed work of art alone. Several times over the last couple of days I have walked past the living room to find her sitting by her artwork, gazing at it. We had a wonderful day. Justin wasn't able to come with us because of some last minute problems at work, but we stopped and visited with my parents on the way home (and went to Arctic Circle for lunch! Yum!), and stopped to visit Justin at his school so he could see B.'s poster. We are so proud of her.
In other news, my daughter B. won several awards for her Arbor Day poster. She won best First Grade Poster for our region (Utah, Salt Lake, and Tooele counties), Best Region
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment