Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Moving on

Spring break and General Conference are now over. I think I spent more time over the weekend listening to Conference than I have in the past, and I found several talks that made me think. I particularly remember Elder Holland's talk about open scriptural canon and continuing revelation (his talks appeal to the academic in me) and of course I loved Elder Ballard's talk about mothers. My kids have been diligent about saying thank you for meals ever since! I also learned that I get more out of the talks when I actually sit down and take notes on what the speakers say. I think it's part of my learning style--I'm very visual and kinetic in my learning. I have to see it (which is great for being a good speller) and I have to do it to get it down. I find that if I just listen then my whole mind isn't engaged. Strange thought for a music teacher!
Speaking of music and teaching, I have a presentation that I am preparing for a monthly music teacher meeting in my chapter. I've had loads of ideas of what I want to share and now the hard part is trying to sort it all and put it in a logical order. I keep finding things that I want to include in my hand-out and after adding another page to it, I've decided that I just need to walk away from my computer before this hand-out becomes a novel. I'm focusing on resources for music teachers, which is a rather broad topic. I am nervous about talking to a group of adults. I was a chorister in Primary (my church's organization for children) for several years and learned to feel very comfortable in front of them. I'll talk with a group of children any day without too much stress. Give me a group of adults, though, and I feel like my insides are trying to escape through my throat! Today will be filled with LOTS of deep breathing.

3 comments:

Sherie Christensen said...

How did it go? I'm sure you did a fantabulous job. I've done a good thing too. I handed Dan a marshmallow and he did a celebration dance. I hope your audience was almost as appreciative of your presentation.

Karli said...

I agree, kids are so much easier to speak in front of!

Becca said...

Hi Anna, I'm sorry that I haven't gotten back to you. Life has been crazy! I'm just getting things figured out with this blogging stuff so you'll have to share your tips with me. Is Justin still enjoying his new job? What a big change for all of you! We miss you guys! We need to get together soon! Have a great day!

Rebecca