Monday we went to see Disney's "Horton Hears a Who." I was a little worried when I first heard about the movie thanks to what a disaster "The Grinch" was. I wasn't ready to see another Dr. Seuss massacre. The Movie Show Guys on KSL reassured me, though, and to my family's delight it was wonderful. Who knew elephants could do so many creative things with their ears? And Whoville was amazing. I want to see it again just to try catching all that's going on there. The kids loved it too. This is one we'll definitely add to the family collection when it comes out on DVD.
On Tuesday we did jobs around the house in the morning and then in the afternoon we met Justin (my husband) at the dollar movies to see "Enchanted." My daughter B. was the only one to have see it already at a friend birthday party in the fall. My youngest, L., was a little scared at the closing dramatic scene, but even my boys overall enjoyed the film. I liked it too, but am not sure this is one we'll add to the family DVD collection. O., my oldest, passed his hunter safety shooting test and came home with a small game license, a badge, and a certificate saying he passed the whole course. Our scoutmaster is going to check to see what merit badges this can count for because O. had to spend five 3-hour sessions in the class, plus taking a written and a shooting test. Phew! There ought to be some merit badge out there for all of that!
Wednesday found us meeting my sister and her kids at BYU's Bean Museum looking at the animals, bugs, and ocean life preserved by the wonders of taxidermy. We survived bustling around the museum with four busloads of school children. After a quick trip to the Creamery for ice cream (and the Mom Tax on everybody's dessert -- little spoonful tastes of everyone's small dish of ice cream), we wandered over to the main part of campus to wander around. We all walked into the newly renovated JKHB -- the Humanities building -- where I spent most of my undergraduate time as an English major. The old building had been quite a rabbit warren of odd floor levels, narrow faculty office hallways, dim lights, and strange room numbering. The renovation gives the building a very modern feel inside, but I think it's still a very confusing building. My nieces and nephew came home with us for the afternoon, and I dropped them off on my way up to Salt Lake to take E. and B. to a Jazz basketball game. Justin was supposed to take the kids to the game, but he came home from work feeling ill. We took TRAX downtown to the arena. E. and I have been to a Jazz game before, but this was B.'s first time. She seemed impressed by the size of everything. Inside the arena we were handed our oxygen masks on our way up to our seats two rows from the top of the arena. The vents were blowing right on our seats, so we were a little chilly through the whole game. I splurged on a large tub of popcorn that I was amazed the kids actually ate their way through. We had a good time and the Jazz beat the Minnesota Timberwolves, so it was a successful evening. The TRAX ride back to our car was crowded and lengthy, but calm.
Thursday, Thursday...the kids did some jobs around the house and I worked on laundry...yippee. Oh, I did have the kids sit at the kitchen table until the person responsible for snitching food from the pantry without permission 'fessed up. The child everyone thought was probably guilty tearfully maintained his innocence the entire time, and I finally gave up and told everyone to go clean their rooms. I was sure when I became a mother I would be hormonally endowed with the ability to discern lying from truthtelling in my children. I have come to the sad conclusion that this is not always so.
Friday was probably the most exciting day of all. After taking O. to his viola lesson (I'm going to take up the viola myself one of these days!) we met some friends and headed up to the zoo for the day. Despite it being spring here, the morning was cool and I was glad for a turtleneck and a sweater. The animals seemed to enjoy the weather too since we saw more animals out and active than I have seen in a long time. The cougars was moving about their enclosure, and it was a creepy feeling to look into the amber eyes of one three feet away from me. We got to see a baby giraffe, baby meerkats, twin baby golden tamarins, and a pregnant elephant (you could actually see her sides moving from the baby inside). On our way home we stopped at my parents' home for cookies and ice cream. What a treat!
It's been a good break and I have renewed enthusiasm to get me through the end of the school year. I enjoyed the sessions of General Conference today -- as much as I got to listen to them. We don't have a sit-down-and-listen policy for the Saturday sessions. O. is attending his first General Priesthood session with Justin this evening. I'm looking forward to listening to tomorrow's sessions.
No comments:
Post a Comment