Monday, April 28, 2008

One Person's Reformed Egyptian...

A few days ago I was reading with the kids in Mormon 5 about how Mormon had been commanded to make an abridgment of Nephi's record and protect it from the Lamanites. I explained to the kids that this was the record that Joseph Smith had translated. As I tried to explain what translation meant, I said, "Joseph had to take these records that were written in a language we couldn't read, to put them into English for us." My youngest, L., piped right up and said, "Oh! Was it in cursive?"

It's been very interesting reading these last few chapters of Mormon with the kids. They've been just astonished at how wicked everyone has become. E. asked me how come the Nephites didn't learn their lesson...why they kept making the same mistakes. As a mother, I see the same pattern in my children. I keep telling them the same things over and over too and wonder when they'll finally learn: "No, you're not the Mom! Let me be the Mom." "If O/E/B/L says something mean that doesn't give you the right to hit/kick/throw ___ at/bite them." "Don't put it down, put it away!" "If you put it away you'd be able to find it..." and other such golden nuggets that I know I must have heard a googol-plex number of times from my own parents when I was young (Googol is my daughter's favorite number these days). I often think about how Heavenly Father must feel about How Many Times Have I Told Anna to...sigh. Hopefully I listen a little more often than those Nephites and Lamanites in the last days of the Book of Mormon.

1 comment:

Sherie Christensen said...

I read it even though you told me about it. I enjoyed it both times. Thanks for the break today. I needed it.