Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Twinkle Toes Tuesday

Well, I learned quickly yesterday that making Jello jigglers requires TWO large packages of jello, not just one. You can also use FOUR small packages. Since green was the required color for the kindergarten activity I was kind of stuck. I learned a couple things yesterday: get the recipe before heading to the story, even if you are in a hurry; and make sure the pan you are putting the jello liquid in is leak-proof (my aluminum 9x13 pan has several tiny pinholes in it) because the liquid will seep out the holes and glue your pan to the refrigerator shelf. I haven't figured out quite yet why all of my aluminum cake pans get those pin holes in them. I do know that you can cover them up with masking tape bits!

The first half of today was productive: all of the clean laundry filling up my couch got folded and I even ironed a shirt. That was until I got a phone call from the dance teacher at my children's school saying she had a terrible migraine and asking if I could go fill in for two short classes in 45 minutes? Well, I agreed, but realized that my afternoon was shot because I didn't want to spend the afternoon driving around. It takes 25 minutes to get to school and today is my day for picking up kids to bring them home. So I loaded a bunch of stuff up into the van to occupy me in between teaching dance and waiting for school to end. The dance teaching went fine. I taught a cha cha basic to the second graders, some of whom have a good sense of rhythm and can tell left from right. I think the boys did at least as well as the girls, and a couple of those second grade boys picked up very quickly! The kindergarten class, on the other, wasn't really in the mood for much of anything organized. We mostly played "Freeze Dance" -- I play a song and stop it abruptly to see who I can catch moving as they try to freeze. It's amazing to me how some of the kids would argue and argue over whether or not they moved. I kept telling them that it wasn't the end of the world to come out for a moment. My own son did well, though, about coming out when his name was called. I was glad. And I was right about the blown afternoon. I ended up sitting in my car for most of it because my plans to work on our laptop didn't pan out. I hadn't had enough time to plan for errands to run, so there I sat. Sigh. I'm going to enjoy having my kids attend school closer to my house next year.

1 comment:

Sherie Christensen said...

That teacher was lucky to have such a talented person to take over for her on short notice. Your class activities sounded fun.