Owen is officially an Eagle Scout now. We held his Court of Honor on Sunday, and it was such a lovely ceremony. He shared the evening with another young man in our ward (church congregation), which turned out to be terrific in several ways. One was sharing the planning and setup with another family. Another neat outcome was how having two young men in the ceremony informed a couple of the talks given, one by the scoutmaster and one by the bishop. They both talked about Caleb and Joshua of the Old Testament and the characteristics these two boys share with their Biblical counterparts -- courage, faith, trust in the Lord, and the willingness to do challenging things. And having two young men encouraged a greater ward turnout too. There were plenty of Scouts there to help with set-up and clean-up.
The turnout was so nice. There were many family members and friends who came to support the boys. They brought cookies to add to the treat table, which was a good thing because there were more people there than I thought were going to be at first! There were enough people there that I didn't get the opportunity to visit with each of them, but I hope Owen had a moment to greet everyone. Justin got to speak and share stories about Owen. I was glad he was up to it. It had been a rough weekend for him. And the slideshow above is one that I put together to show. Evan was my techno-whiz who made it possible for the slideshow to even be shown. An hour before the program I pulled out the projector I had checked out from the church library to make sure it would talk to my laptop. It wouldn't. Yikes! Evan calmly stepped in and figured out how to make it all work by using his laptop. Thank you Evan!!
The music you hear in the slideshow is all Owen. In school, for his Winterim project, he took an Apocalyptica (a Finnish cello band -- classical training with a metal twist; it's better than you might think at first) arrangement of a Metallica song called "Nothing Else Matters" and put it into alto clef, re-arranged the ending, and laid down four tracks in a recording studio to create his recording. It turned out so well! He was really happy with it and I was impressed and proud.
Owen is really an amazing young man. He has grown into such a thoughtful, hard-working, mature young man. I can't wait to see what he accomplishes next in his life. It's going to be amazing, whatever it is.
1 comment:
Time flies. That was a great video and music. I enjoyed both very much.
Post a Comment