Monday, February 17, 2014
Comics Imitate Life
Crankshaft and Baby Blues are two of our family's favorite comic strips. When we come across one we particularly identify with we cut it out and stick it on the fridge with one of our many magnets. These two strips described recently at our house. My Chaos Tolerance Threshold had been surpassed, so the kids got the quiet version of Tsumommy combined with "there's two ways we can do this...my way...or my way really angry."
Be careful what questions you ask your kids about whether they notice the mess or if it bothers them. One child said he didn't really notice any mess, nor it didn't bother him. Another child said it only bothered him if there was company coming over. At least they were honest with me. But I came away from the soap box/discussion feeling like I had failed somehow in helping my children believe that "cleanliness is next to Godliness."
I guess I should confess that I was not the tidy child of the family growing up either. Creating piles and collections is more innate than throwing things away. But I've learned that I function best in order and tidiness. I can't start cooking a meal if there are dishes in the sink and stuff on the counter -- aside from obviously not enough room. It's a mental thing. I can't organize my cooking brain if there is clutter in my work space.
Since I have children on the verge of leaving home pretty much for good I keep worrying over the lessons I hope I have taught, the lessons I wonder about missing, and whether or not I have done enough overall to prepare them to be independent people. So when I hear them say the mess doesn't bother them or only bothers them if company is coming over I wonder what I need to do to help them see how cleanliness benefits them NOW, even if it is just us at home.
And the Tsumommy did subside, by the way, without lasting damage or strained vocal chords.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment