Looking over my last few posts I realized I haven't even mentioned my garden, bees, chickens, or anything else to do with my regular life. Traveling hasn't been the only thing I've done this summer, although I think we're making up for little travel last summer because Justin was just too sick. Both of the major trips I have taken this summer are very rare ones ... the Mother/Sisters trip is something that happens only every few years, and I don't think we'll ever be able to afford another Alaska trip. The Alaska trip was also a Last Trip of sorts. Our oldest child graduates high school next year, and by this time next year he will most certainly have his mission call -- an opportunity to spend two years sharing the gospel of Jesus Christ with others.
The changes in our family have already subtly started happening. This summer, for the first time, both Owen and Evan have been working at "real" jobs instead of doing chores around here to earn some spending money. They have been working for a local fruit ranch operation, seeing what it is like to work hours for very little money. I think they're seeing how true it is that there are jobs to be had in this country that many people won't take. This ranch would love to have more help harvesting the cherries, raspberries, and other fruits they grow, even this late in the season. I don't know how their pay compares with other orchard operations around here, but the job has been wonderful incentive for the boys to get a great education! They've also been doing yard work for one of their aunts, who not only pays them, but shares Dr. Who episodes with them when work-time is over. Guess which job they really love?! But I think the best part has been how much they have learned they enjoy working together.
Other changes are afoot too. The three oldest kids will all be in the same school this next year, leaving Liam by himself at his school, which has undergone a complete overhaul in management, curriculum, and teaching philosophy. I'm not sure I'm a fan of the changes, so we'll see. Bronwyn is now officially a middle schooler. Evan is a freshman.
The kids are all physically maturing too. Owen flaunts his ability to grow facial hair. Evan shot up this summer and lost his little boy softness. Bronwyn has just about matched me for height. And Liam is going to surpass me in height before too long as well. Nothing like feeling like the family midget!
I love seeing my children growing and learning and progressing -- increasing in stature and wisdom, as it were. I love having teenagers. They're so much fun! But my mother was right. I asked her once what it was like raising me and my three sisters. She said when we were little she was always physically tired and when we were teenagers she was always emotionally tired.
Their development is a gratifying thing to be part of. Being a mother is the greatest job there is. But it's also the saddest in one way. I know at some point each of my little chicks will go off on their own. And that is exactly as it should be. However, I will miss them terribly when they go. It takes courage to start a family and work hard every day to raise them. I think it is also going to take courage to let them go.
By the way, the chickens are laying well. The bees have been making honey like crazy (they seem to really like the three-deep arrangement I have going). And the garden has its ups and downs. The ups? The Rio Zape beans, zucchini, yellow squash, and fruits (peaches, apples, berries, grapes). The downs? Peas and green beans. Peas struggled to get started and then I missed their tiny harvest; grasshoppers pretty much chewed up my green beans. Guess I'd better let the chickens have some foraging fun.
No comments:
Post a Comment