Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Olympic Peninsula -- We Should Go!!

What happens when you combine five women who love to talk and travel? And when those five women are four sisters and their mom? They go on a road trip together to Seattle and the Olympic Peninsula.  This is the second trip we've all been able to take together, although there have been several mini-trips. I tried to choose just one picture from each place we visited ... and choosing so few out of the (literally) hundreds I took was hard! I just may have to do a second post to share some of the others.  My favorite places we visited? The Chihuly Garden and Glass museum right next to the Space Needle in Seattle; our Port Townsend hotel -- the Waterstreet Hotel; Butchart Gardens on Vancouver Island; Cape Flattery; and the Hoh Rainforest. Even choosing favorites was hard because we enjoyed everything we saw and did.

In Seattle my most favorite spot was the Chihuly Garden and Glass museum. This picture below features blown glass flowers swirling around the ceiling of a specially designed glass house. The colors at night are stunning. I took so many pictures during the day that my camera battery ran out and I had to use my cell phone. I'm hoping to get some of those pictures loaded on here to share, especially one that is this same view, but with much richer colors thanks to the evening lighting.


Port Townsend is a lovely little town on the northern coast of the Olympic Peninsula. The town closes down early in the evening, so we didn't do much more than walk up and down the main street. The homes are charming, and many residents are very creative in their fencing to keep out the deer.  We stayed in a wonderful old hotel in downtown Port Townsend called the Waterstreet Hotel. I felt a little like I was back in the BYU London Study Abroad Centre again. All of the unoccupied rooms were left open so we explored each one. Every room is different and some are family suites. The rates are so reasonable we even dreamed aloud about coming here for a family reunion. 

We found a fun little soda fountain called the Nifty Fiftys, replete with authentic, restored 1950's decor. Although they overcooked the salmon for their salmon salad, everything else we ordered was tasty. Hillary is about to enjoy her purple cow. Mmmmm!


One of the amazing features at the beaches we stopped to walk along are huge piles of driftwood trees. They provided a picturesque setting for photos. I like taking pictures of scenery I can use on my Facebook page. We all enjoyed having the time and quiet to sit on the rocky beach, listening to the surf and feeling the sun warm our backs. I could live by the sea. I love the sounds and smells that go along with it. This is at the Dungeness Spit.


Three of our group are Twilight fans. Not rabid fans, mind you. But we did spend some time seeing the Twilight sights in the area. One of them was Bella Italia, a real Italian restaurant in Port Angeles. The restaurant space is tiny, actually. Prices are expensive, although the portions are reasonably generous. Since none of my sisters like mushrooms, I was the only one to order the mushroom ravioli. It was pretty good, although with the large serving size the flavors got monotonous. I would rather have a smaller serving size (and pay a lot less!) so my tastebuds still crave the taste by the time I'm done eating.

As we arrived in Port Townsend we were directed to a beautiful small park on the coast called Chetzemoka Park. After eating our picnic lunch we wandered down to the beach. Each of us made a rock cairn to represent our family. Here's mine. And anyone who knows me knows I love to collect pretty rocks and shells. I've passed this on to my kids.

Around the town of Sequim (pronounced "skwim") are many lavender farms. I didn't know there were so many different varieties to grow, although I should have. There's never just one species or variety of something! This farm is called Jardin du Soleil Lavender. I loved seeing not only the multiple species of lavender, but also their beehives tucked away in the back corner of their fields.

One of the very best gardens in the whole world (in my opinion) to visit is Butchart Gardens on Vancouver Island, Canada. The setting, plants, design, and appearance are stunning. Since I can't grow fist-sized begonias at home, I chose this picture. On the other hand, Butchart Gardens probably deserves a post all of its own. The first time I visited was fifteen years ago and the rose garden wasn't in bloom yet. This time it was exploding with color and fragrance. I could spend all day there. The flowers are stunning, true, but the trees, shrubs, and design are just as amazing. I could work there quite happily.

This is one of those amazing places to visit partly because it is so unique. Cape Flattery is the most northwestern point of the continental United States. The hike out to the point is cool, shady, and fun. The view at the point is filled with wildlife and ocean and a pretty lighthouse. We saw a puffin, sea stars, gulls, and a seal. And we met a little family from Belgium speaking Flemish. Their little girl was so cute.

Yup. More Twilight fan stuff. Our non-Twilight fans in the group were very patient and accommodating!

First Beach in LaPush. The sand is so fine and dark. This day was our only really rainy, soggy day of the trip. I saw a guy fishing from the beach for perch. He hadn't caught anything yet.

The Hoh Rainforest was, well, rainy! New life grows out of the ground, on the rocks, out of living trees, and on fallen logs which are called "nurse logs" because as they decay they become the nursery for baby spruce and hemlock trees.  The trees in this forest are two hundred feet tall, and some are too large for two people to wrap their arms around. I discovered banana slugs here. I can't say I would want any in my garden, but I thought they were so interesting.

On our last full day in Washington we visited the Olympic Game Farm, where rescued or retired animal actors come. It's a drive-through place where you are allowed to feed the animals from your car window -- as long as you feed them wheat bread. The animals have come to associate cars with free food because they follow you along, and if your window is rolled down they poke their heads right in for a snack. This cow elk thought she was going to get her own hand-out.

On our drive home we started really early so we could make it back to Utah in good time. And we would have, if not for unexpected road construction in the Snoqualmie Pass. There was rock blasting going on, so we got stopped on the road for over an hour. People were getting out of their cars, chatting, walking their dogs, and stretching their muscles. Our westbound lanes were finally let through, long before the eastbound lanes were. We figured cars were backed up in a five-mile long string. The funniest thing was how busy the next rest stop was after we were allowed to get moving.

It was a shock to my system to come home to triple-digit temperatures. My hair and skin certainly liked the humidity and cooler temperatures in the Northwest. But after all, home is home.

No comments: