Sunday, May 26, 2013

More May Catching Up

May has been so busy! I know we have been eating food, going to school, finishing up school, working in the yard, doing a little housework (probably not nearly as much as needed), exercising, going to work, grading papers, concerts, and family activities. I'm sure there is more on that list. Keeping up with all of it on my blog is obviously not on the list, so we'll make up for it a bit here. 


At the end of Bronwyn's play week I held my piano studio recital with my 23 students. Bronwyn and Liam are two of my students. The recital was a lot of fun, especially the duets. Those tend to be more relaxed for the students to perform because there are two of them sitting at the bench. Liam and his partner Ethan played a duet called "Clowns." Although the music doesn't call for it, I have the students swap places and parts half-way through. Ethan and Liam really got into it and had fun:


Bronwyn and her duet partner played "Wild Horse Round-up." They both love horses.

I played with several students. Liam caught this picture of me playing with McKinley on a western-theme piece called "Wild Rider." If the students want to, I encourage them to dress up a bit to go along with their duet's theme.

My sister-in-law Lauri brought up her twin boys to celebrate their birthday. We got to have them spend the night with us and so Justin took us all up Spanish Fork Canyon past Diamond campground to walk along the river there. Kids just need to be outdoors:
Evan demonstrates his teenage Gandalf:  "You shall not pass!!"

Justin is happiest sitting next to a river.

Once Owen and Bronwyn tracked down the younger boys who had all raced ahead in their playing, Justin showed off what's living on the underside of the rocks in the river:  stoneflies and rock rollers (little creatures that glue tiny pebbles to their outsides).

Checking out the river life, evidence of a healthy river. Somebody is holding a stonefly on his finger.

Owen and Justin compare their rocks. Owen thinks his is superior.

Justin explains the obvious superiority of his rock. Owen reads his. Mark can't decide which rock is better.

Justin extols the virtue of his rock. Owen bows his head in concession.

I saw a native bee on this dandelion. I'm not sure if it's a mason bee or what, but I love seeing happy native bees. Notice this one doesn't have pollen bags on its legs. It collects the pollen all over its fuzzy body.

Evan and Kyle hoofing it back to the car.

Liam flexing.

When Lauri came to pick up her boys she brought Lily, one of the puppies they are selling. Their border collie Meg had seven puppies they are finding homes for. Lily is adorable!

I have to say I am glad the school year is over. I'm looking forward to spending more time with my children and working in my yard. And NO HOMEWORK for a whole summer! YAY!!

1 comment:

Sherie Christensen said...

Amen to the no homework, and to the joys of summer! Nice pics.