I really felt kinship with caterpillars last week and the week before as I spent every waking moment (except for food preparation and teaching piano lessons...okay, and a day off for the Sabbath) sewing Bronwyn's costume for her school production of Romeo and Juliet. She was to be Lady Capulet. I ignored the piles of stuff accumulating on the counters, the sewing detritus of threads and snipped seams on the floor. The kids entertained themselves with I don't know what while they were home. I even skipped my beloved zumba class and equally beloved bedtime to get this costume done. Why did I do this? First of all, because I love my daughter. Secondly, I had always wanted to sew a Renaissance period costume just to see if I could. I've attended the Utah Shakespeare Festival for most of my life (really!) and one of my favorite parts is the costuming. And thirdly, I guess I love a challenge and trying something new. Well, this certainly fit the bill!
I was thrilled with how the costume turned out. Bronwyn was thrilled and appreciative. Even though there are the tedious parts of sewing (laying out patterns, tracing patterns, marking the fabric, and endless pinning), the actual construction is fun. Even though I had to pick stuff apart. And broke two needles. It was worth it.
 |
| Vest and blouse. The shoulders are fastened together with ribbon bows. And there's something satisfying about pounding the grommets in with a hammer. |
 |
| Vest front up close. All of the braided trim is sewn on. The waist seam with the peplum is one place I broke a needle. |
 |
| Vest back. |
 |
| Our lovely Lady Capulet. She is such a beautiful girl. Good thing she has two protective older brothers to watch out for her next year in school. |
The play's the thing....
 |
| Juliet's balconey doubled as her bier, right behind Bronwyn. |
A happy post-play Bronwyn, a little more rumpled than when she started. Her skirt zipper started coming down during the play, and then another actor stepped on her skirt, almost tugging it off! Yikes! I love the on-scene and off-scene craziness that always goes on.
Catching up on all of the piles and other regular mom stuff once I popped out of my cocoon took a few days, especially with a looming piano recital (that's another post!). But I was so proud of Bronwyn and how well she did in her play. It was a fun, short, production.
1 comment:
You have awesome sewing skills! Great job. Bronwyn looked beautiful.
Post a Comment