One of the great activities associated with Utah's Freedom Festival is the patriotic Hope of America concert held at BYU's Marriott Center each spring. Fifth grade students from many local schools get to participate in learning a number of songs written especially for the program. They wear color-coded tee-shirts so that when they are seated in the Marriott Center they form an enormous American flag. The songs celebrate the good of our country -- there's one about the Declaration of Independence, another dedicated to our local heroic firefighters and police officers, as well as one for our brave troops. One of my favorites is called "I Have a Dream," based on Martin Luther King's famous speech. There are so many schools now who want to participate that the program directors have had to go to two nights with two different casts in order to accommodate everyone who would like to participate.
| Liam is wearing his red bandana. Why, oh why did I not insist he take it off? |
| There's our living American flag! What a great symbol for what it takes to make our country great -- each of us doing our small part to make something grand |
Owen had a solo in his studio's Viva Viola recital. We went to Flour Girls and Dough Boys for treats afterward, only to discover a new bakery had taken its place called Rhonda's Pies. We liked what we ate and hope the new bakery does really well.
My parents joined us for the occasion. Life really is sweet!
So here is my home nursery. The plants on the right have been living on my kitchen table or in this window on the left where the tomatoes are semi-patiently waiting to go outside. We've got broccoli, celery, peppers, tomatoes, one bean (from Liam's science project), and various flowers. I'm hoping to plant the starts on my porch out in the yard/garden this week.
You can actually see furrows in my garden thanks to my two visiting teachers (in my church's congregation each woman is assigned two women to visit her each month to share a spiritual message, develop a friendship, and help that woman with whatever needs she may have). They came last week and helped me plant asparagus and cauliflower (those are the seedlings that leapt off the nursery table into my hands. Really. They followed me home), as well as onions, potatoes, beets, and peas. Our city hasn't turned on its secondary water yet, so I'm hand-watering my babies. The big stuff you can see already over-wintered somehow.
The end-of-the-year high school orchestra performance was held in the chapel at the state mental hospital. The setting is lovely. I was so proud of the students, especially because I have gone in to their classes to substitute conduct several times this past year. They are terrific kids and I really enjoy being there. They performed beautifully!
Especially these two handsome fellows! Talk about a proud mama!!
Owen chatting with the accompanist, SharLee in the choir seats at the back of the chapel, waiting for the concert to begin.
Evan hanging loose with the cello section before the concert begins.
Just a couple more performances to go. My own piano students will be having their big spring recital in three weeks. We'll see how ready their solos are tomorrow at group class! I have also agreed to play the organ for the high school graduation. Guess I'd better whip those organ pieces into shape. It's a very different repertoire from what I play in church. And then the school year is over.
Whoa.
No comments:
Post a Comment