Monday, February 20, 2012

It's Too Hard to Choose

I had the worst time trying to choose a major in college because I felt like saying "yes" to one major meant saying "no" to everything else forever. I could hardly stand the thought because I had (and still have) so many interests. When I left for college I sort of left piano and music behind in favor of learning to ballroom dance. I loved ballroom. I probably should have majored in it. When I left college I continued to work as a coach for a couple of years and even studied for a professional certification teaching exam. Gradually, though, I left dance behind and took up with piano again, teaching students and studying for professional certification in my new/old field. I have loved teaching piano.

But once a year I go judge at a local ballroom competition and get bit by the dancing bug all over again. I really do miss it, feeling those rhythms right into my bones. I can't sit still when there's any kind of danceable music playing. And this past weekend I went to Idaho to help teach the students of a former college dance teammate of mine. He started a ballroom group in his community and although he runs it on a shoestring, those kids are willing to make the sacrifices to participate. I went with some other good friends and a niece who all ballroom dance and we brought our families up for the weekend. We also brought along some high school students for a fun dance exchange. It was wonderful. The kids all got along really well and we had fun dancing and laughing and talking. And now part of me is ready to throw over the piano career and try to jump back into dance. How crazy is that?

My niece shared with me an excellent insight (we had a lot of time to talk and learned so much about each other and how much we have in common, including piano and books). She said she felt like God gave her her piano talent to serve with and her dancing talent for her own enjoyment. I had never thought about talents in that way. It was one of those "AHA!!" moments I have when I learn something that my spirit recognizes as truth.

That still doesn't help me choose, though. Argh. The only solution is for me to live to the age of Methuselah (with amazing health!) so I can get around to doing everything and learning everything I want to before I have to leave this planet.

No comments: