The other exciting sign of spring? I got my Burpee seed catalogue in the mail today. I was ready to ignore dinner preparations in favor of ogling bright fruits and vegetables and flowers all colors of the rainbow. Then my stomach rumbled and I set the tempting glossy pages aside. Now I'm off to drool and dream about my summer garden.
Tuesday, February 21, 2012
The First Breath of Spring
The signs of spring are definitely here. I ordered a new three-pound package of bees yesterday to start a second hive over this spring. I decided to try a different breed this time: Carniolan. I also ordered two new hive tops for my hives. The one I started out with has not turned out to be very durable. It has warped slightly over the course of the winter and caused a slight gap between the lid and the top hive body, allowing bees to come and go through a new opening. This might not be so bad for ventilation in the summer, but it means an additional entrance to try to protect from robbers, as well as the possibility that moisture can get inside and cause all kinds of problems with mildew. I keep trying to decide, too, on when I can slip my girls some syrup. The weather is just unpredictable enough that I don't want to open up the hive and chill them, but I'm worried about them starving before the flowers start blooming because it has been so warm this winter. Hmmm. What's a beekeeper to do?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Ah Spring. It might even make me want to work in a garden for a few minutes!
I liked your blog about choosing majors too. It's too bad we didn't build our gym so you could teach a dance class or two in it. I selfishly would like you to keep teaching Kayli though!
Post a Comment