Justin learned of a cool art exhibit happening at the Kimball Art Center in Park City. This artist, Nathan Sawaya, uses Lego bricks as his medium. We made the drive up Highway 40 to go see what was on display. As a bonus, Lauri and Jay and their boys joined for the outing.
Justin actually agreed to not only let me take his picture, but even to pose, and I think these are awesome! Forgive the graininess of the photos, though. My camera doesn't do indoor pictures really well.
| Ode to Surgery (my title). Given what Justin has gone through the last couple of years, this is too fitting! |
| This Lego bust is taking off his face. Thankfully Justin still has a face when he removes his glasses. |
This is a tall Lego pencil. Makes me want to travel to the Pacific Islands and recline on the beach for awhile, under an enormous beach umbrella, pretending to read a good book, but actually dozing while listening to the surf and the birds.
Mount Rushmore comes to us! Evan, Lauri, Kyle, Mark, Liam, and me.
Bronwyn loved this Lego storybook with the castle rising out of the middle. There is a poem going down the pages of either side of the castle, telling the story of a prince who lived in the castle in love with a princess sailing the moat in her boat.
There were three portraits hanging on the wall. Owen chose this one as his favorite. All three of them are so interesting. They are created from a single layer of bricks.
I just thought this one was cool. It is so interesting how the eye perceives curves coming from something so linear.
I thought this one was just fun. You can see the room isn't very large. Mount Rushmore is just to the left. The room entrance is just to the right. This was the only room of Lego sculptures.
| Bronwyn and Lauri watch the other visitors. |
I liked the cat. It's a bit bigger than life-size, though!
Jay and Lauri and their boys.
This piano is also part of the museum. It's just outside the doors of the cafe. I was surprised to see how uninhibited several children were to plop down and play whatever came into their heads. Bronwyn went out of her way to wait her turn to play.
On our way back to the car, Lauri, Bronwyn, Owen, and I stopped in this furrier. The coats, vests, and other items made from or trimmed with furs of all kinds were so beautiful. And expensive. I touched a coat bearing a $12,000 price tag. That's the right number of zeros there. Bronwyn said she saw one costing nearly double that. These gloves were beautiful, but at $129 definitely out of my price range. Owen decided the sight of all of those pelts made him feel uncomfortable. I could see his point. And as beautiful as I thought the garments were, I don't think I want one. Nor do I have anywhere I would wear one. It was fascinating to look, though.
My kids and I were all surprised at the snow levels in Heber and Park City. We easily have four times as much in our little cul-de-sac alone. There wasn't much on the ground at all up in those higher elevations. On our way back, Bronwyn caught this beautiful picture of Bridal Veil Falls from our moving vehicle.
She also noticed this gigantic halo around the sun. Naturally, we called my dad, the astronomer, to find out if there is a scientific name for this phenomenon. It's called a halo. Around the sun. Bronwyn also caught this photo as we were driving. She's the other family shutterbug.
Even though the exhibit is small, the kids commented several times how much they enjoyed going to see it. Parking in Park City is not very fun, but if you're willing to park a ways away from things, it's not too bad. And we enjoyed walking down and back up Main Street. I can't imagine how crowded it must have been for the Sundance Film Festival a few weeks ago.
2 comments:
Fun! Rob is a HUGE Lego buff. Any idea how long the exhibit will be there?? (Not that we plan to be in Utah anytime terribly soon...)
Wow. I bet my kids would have been fascinated with those displays. I was just from your pictures. Thanks for sharing. I'm glad you got a good adventure in.
Post a Comment