Justin was determined this year, no matter what, that he was going to Grey's River in October for the annual fall fishing trip. He missed last year due to being in the ICU for pancreatitis and the year before for neck surgery for bulging disks in his neck. Yeah, it's been a tough couple of years health-wise for him. He talked me into coming this year since he intended stay in a motel because he wasn't up to camping. I haven't gone in past years because I don't do camping in the cold. So I made reservations for us at the 3 Rivers Motel in Alpine, Wyoming. We split our family up between two rooms -- one with a kitchenette and one with two queen beds. It ended up being a great place to stay for a really good rate especially now that it's off-season. The kids got the double queen room (yikes! Kids alone in their own motel room! Worked out just fine) and we were kitty-corner to them in the kitchenette room that also had a sleeper sofa.
The daytime weather was perfect: clear, sunny, mid-60's. I needed my sweatshirt in the morning, but by mid-morning I was comfortable in long sleeves.
Can you see the wee beastie in the middle? Bronwyn and Liam spent an hour trying to catch these tadpole-like creatures.
Although their shoes and socks are on for the moment, those quickly came off. The water was icy cold, though, and both Bronwyn and Liam had bright pink hands and feet. This is the Lynx Creek section of Grey's River.
Evan shows off some of the critters living under the rocks in the river. Justin calls them hellgrammites. This is their larval stage. After a few years they crawl to shore, pupate over the winter, and only live long enough in the spring to lay eggs close to the water. They're pretty good bait!
Bronwyn and Liam try to warm up their wet, cold feet while Justin and the older boys get the rods rigged up.
Justin caught the first cutthroat trout, but asked Owen to show it off for the camera. This beauty was caught in Owen's Hole. Justin has named a hole for each of the kids and one of our nephews where they have each caught fish in previous seasons. This is usually a good hole for us; we can pull at least a couple of fish out. I got a couple of strikes but couldn't land anything. Argh!
Bronwyn is as avid a fisherman as her brothers, mom, and dad. She's not afraid to bait her own hooks either. We're on the riverbank at Owen's Hole.
Look at that clear, beautiful water! I enjoy fishing, but I think I enjoy the scenery and just being up the canyon as much as anything.
Owen caught this photo of Liam.
Justin gives instructions to Bronwyn and Liam on the shores of the Honeymoon Hole. We spent our honeymoon camping at this spot nineteen years ago. Lots of good memories here.
Evan caught the next trout of the day here in the honeymoon hole. I looked for my brother-in-law Aaron's fishing line that has been waving from the rocks across the river, but couldn't find it this year.
Ooooh. Fresh fish cookin' in the pot at the end of the day. Sooo good. And Justin's traditional potatoes turned out just right too.
It was a beautiful trip. Star Valley is gorgeous this time of year, and we had the river to ourselves. Staying in a motel was good for October (I love camping up on the river in the summer, though). Although the motel is older, everything was kept clean and the rooms are large. I would stay there again.
I might even be convinced to come again in the fall.
3 comments:
It looks like you had a great time. I'm glad you got in a fun family trip.
Beautiful photos. I'm glad that you were all able to go. Camping in a hotel in cold October weather sounds better to me too.
What fun! We've gone "camping" over spring break down in Yosemite. When it's cold outside (especially at night) it is the way to go!
Post a Comment