I know this looks lots of activity and posting in one day. I'm actually just playing catch-up from the past two weeks. It's been just a bit busy around here with music stuff and getting children to do homework and attempting to spring clean my yard.
Anyway, I tried out this
method for rendering beeswax that I think really works. I even made my own screen. Here's what I did:
Heated up the wax taken from burr comb and honey cappings and boiled it. Do you like my Deseret Industries special sauce pan?

Here's my snazzy filtering screen I made. With corrective help from my kind neighbor (measuring a 45-degree angle with a plastic protractor and a ruler isn't very accurate. And it doesn't work to have all of your cuts down the 1x2 being on parallel diagonals. Sigh.):

Notice I am doing this outside. Bronwyn took the pictures. She actually took quite a few, but I thought you only wanted to see one.

The wax hardened a bit on the screen as it splashed through, but you can see the screen is collecting a lot of gunk. That gunk is supposed to be awesome for starting fires and things. We'll see. My big dilemma now is how to clean up the screen for using another time without tearing the mesh. Once the wax and water separated I had to heat the wax sheets a second time and ended up with a gorgeous buttery yellow cube of beeswax. Sorry I didn't get pictures of that part. That happened on another day. The wax smells heavenly.
I can't wait to try this again. It's kind of tempting to go scrape some comb out of the hive just to see what I get this time. But I won't. Those poor bees have enough to be dealing with right now.
2 comments:
It's always fun to read about your bee adventures. I like your clever hornet catchers. We have had the store bought ones and Derek did get them to work by putting jam in them. He tried all sorts of things and some worked better than others!
What are you going to do with the beeswax?
Post a Comment