Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Hornet Traps -- Mwaahahahaha!

I detest hornets/yellow jackets. They did a number on my hive in the fall, killing off hundreds of bees in their brutal attempt to rob honey and whatever else they could. So this spring I have gone on the offensive with some degree of success! I found this idea online (I think I mentioned it somewhere below), and here is my version. I used window screen and stapled the cone together. As an experiment, I decided to put tuna fish in some water in one, and current jelly with a bit of banana peel water in the other. Nothing was interested in the tuna water jar, but I caught drowned at least a dozen hornets (DIE DIE!), as well as loads of flies. I put the jar right on top of my hive. The honeybees weren't in the least interested. I think it's the wrong smell to them. I also think I caught a queen hornet because there was one in the jar that was HUGE. Think of what a Cessna looks like next to a Boeing 747. Perhaps a slight exaggeration, but you get the idea.

Simply shape a cone out of window screen and point the slightly opened end of the cone down into the quart jar. Fold down the excess screen around the rim of the jar, and screw on the band. Voila! I filled my jars half full. I saw a number of hornets flying near my blackberry bushes (that currently only have last year's leaves on ... no flowers) yesterday so I moved a fresh jar to the AC unit right in the middle. I'll have to see if I have any prisoners today. This time of year is definitely for the sweet odors. I also read somewhere that someone used beer in theirs. I'm all for whatever works. And those store-bought yellow plastic canister ones that you're supposed to be the attractant on a cotton swab and put it inside? NOT A SINGLE HORNET. Not even a fly. I even put a chunk of banana in it. So there's nine bucks for nothing.

I didn't think you'd want to see a picture of the drowned insects.

No comments: