We sneaked into the Cremorne Gardens at sunset to catch a glimpse of the Thames and this lovely small garden tucked away. In this tree is a functional sculpture -- these are bird houses doubling as art.
I'm something of an Olympic nut. I almost got to volunteer with the Salt Lake 2002 Winter Games a few years ago. Here is the London Olympic stadium going up in East London. I snapped the picture from the train as we rode by on our way to church in Stratford. Or was it Ilford? Or is it the Stratford ward meets in Ilford? Something like that. The LDS church members there are amazing.
We stumbled across this bizarre fish-that-is-a-sailing-vessel sculpture in Hays Galleria on the south side of the Thames. The ship has a face, gills, and a sailing crew -- giant noses wearing umbrellas. Whimsical, nonsensical, and bizarre. We loved it.
Everywhere we walked in London we found reminders of the blitzkrieg Londoners endured in World War II. The pock-marked walls are both sobering and inspiring badges of the courage, determination, and strength demonstrated by Britons.
2 comments:
O Wow! Makes me want to go too. Glad you had such a great time.
Sounds like a neat trip. I like the last photo of the wall with the scars from the bombing.
Post a Comment