So, once the house was ready and the Super Hero Training Academy staff were ready (I asked my family to wear their bright yellow family reunion shirts so we "looked" like staff members), the party boys arrived. Note to self: mail invitations home instead of hoping second grade boys get them all the way home. We played a couple of rounds of Party Quirks, an improv game led by Justin, as we waited for everyone to come. We ended up with 6 boys, plus Liam. Once we figured we had everyone there who was intending to be there (why don't people bother to RSVP any more?), I (ElastiGirl) welcomed them officially to the academy and had them draw a super power out of a bowl. Once they knew what their super power was, they had to come up with their own super hero name. I wrote each name on a strip of masking tape and stuck that to their shirt so we could try to address them by their super hero name. Justin (All Powerful Man) then conducted the "Interviewing With The Press" class and we videotaped them having a practice interview. I had hoped to show them the tape later in the party, but I realized time was slipping away fast so we couldn't. Kids this age just aren't used to making up crazy answers to things on the spot. Evan (Mike. I know. Interesting super hero name)then welcomed them to Super Hero P.E. class. He led them in stretches while I set up a couple of things for an obstacle course. The boys lined up and we ran them through the course, involving The Ring of Fire (couldn't get any of my kids to reprise the "aah-who-wahh-hee-ahh-ho-ho-ho" from Finding Nemo. Go figure.) The tape marks are the steps they had to land on because on either side of the steps was a bazillion foot drop off. They got to jump down stairs (only four) onto couch cushions and punch other couch cushions.
Sunday, February 14, 2010
Super Hero Training Academy
What a Saturday we had yesterday. Turning eight is a milestone that needed appropriate recognition. And with Liam being the youngest, I honestly had not made the effort to have a major birthday party for him like I had at least once with each of his older siblings. It was definitely Liam's turn. And he was so excited. He asked for only a couple of things. He wanted it to have something to do with Spiderman, his current favorite super hero, and he wanted a treasure hunt. Thanks to some amazing ideas from my Queen Party Planner sister Hillary (have I said Thank You enough yet?), we pulled off a great time. Excuse me, "awesome time," to quote the birthday boy. And I say "we" because this was a group effort. The older kids were generally great sports about helping me get the house ready and help with the actual party. Justin is always amazing in helping with activities at the party.
So, once the house was ready and the Super Hero Training Academy staff were ready (I asked my family to wear their bright yellow family reunion shirts so we "looked" like staff members), the party boys arrived. Note to self: mail invitations home instead of hoping second grade boys get them all the way home. We played a couple of rounds of Party Quirks, an improv game led by Justin, as we waited for everyone to come. We ended up with 6 boys, plus Liam. Once we figured we had everyone there who was intending to be there (why don't people bother to RSVP any more?), I (ElastiGirl) welcomed them officially to the academy and had them draw a super power out of a bowl. Once they knew what their super power was, they had to come up with their own super hero name. I wrote each name on a strip of masking tape and stuck that to their shirt so we could try to address them by their super hero name. Justin (All Powerful Man) then conducted the "Interviewing With The Press" class and we videotaped them having a practice interview. I had hoped to show them the tape later in the party, but I realized time was slipping away fast so we couldn't. Kids this age just aren't used to making up crazy answers to things on the spot. Evan (Mike. I know. Interesting super hero name)then welcomed them to Super Hero P.E. class. He led them in stretches while I set up a couple of things for an obstacle course. The boys lined up and we ran them through the course, involving The Ring of Fire (couldn't get any of my kids to reprise the "aah-who-wahh-hee-ahh-ho-ho-ho" from Finding Nemo. Go figure.) The tape marks are the steps they had to land on because on either side of the steps was a bazillion foot drop off. They got to jump down stairs (only four) onto couch cushions and punch other couch cushions.
Once all the boys were through Bronwyn ran in yelling the birthday treats had been treat-napped and she had a clue (here comes the treasure hunt!). They did pretty well with my rhyming couplet clues and rescued the treats:
Liam is just trying to avoid blowing out his birthday candle early. Everyone got to frost their own cupcake and douse them liberally with Sprinkles of Power.
Super heroes are always eager to help one another out.
After present opening we held a graduation ceremony in which they were awarded their masks to protect their secret identities and I tied on their new super hero utility belts I had made. What a stupendous looking bunch of boys!
Here they are as their mild-mannered public selves. Thanks for coming boys!
Liam had to show off his new Bionicle. It was great. Everyone helped well. I didn't bother getting right into clean up. I went upstairs to collapse for a while. Dinner was cupcakes and root beer. Hey. You only have a birthday once a year! Happy Birthday Liam. We love having you in our family.
So, once the house was ready and the Super Hero Training Academy staff were ready (I asked my family to wear their bright yellow family reunion shirts so we "looked" like staff members), the party boys arrived. Note to self: mail invitations home instead of hoping second grade boys get them all the way home. We played a couple of rounds of Party Quirks, an improv game led by Justin, as we waited for everyone to come. We ended up with 6 boys, plus Liam. Once we figured we had everyone there who was intending to be there (why don't people bother to RSVP any more?), I (ElastiGirl) welcomed them officially to the academy and had them draw a super power out of a bowl. Once they knew what their super power was, they had to come up with their own super hero name. I wrote each name on a strip of masking tape and stuck that to their shirt so we could try to address them by their super hero name. Justin (All Powerful Man) then conducted the "Interviewing With The Press" class and we videotaped them having a practice interview. I had hoped to show them the tape later in the party, but I realized time was slipping away fast so we couldn't. Kids this age just aren't used to making up crazy answers to things on the spot. Evan (Mike. I know. Interesting super hero name)then welcomed them to Super Hero P.E. class. He led them in stretches while I set up a couple of things for an obstacle course. The boys lined up and we ran them through the course, involving The Ring of Fire (couldn't get any of my kids to reprise the "aah-who-wahh-hee-ahh-ho-ho-ho" from Finding Nemo. Go figure.) The tape marks are the steps they had to land on because on either side of the steps was a bazillion foot drop off. They got to jump down stairs (only four) onto couch cushions and punch other couch cushions.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
That is quite possibly THE.NEATEST.PARTY.EVER! great job with it, anna - and staff. :) Happy b-day LIAM!
That is AWESOME! Seriously!
I'm impressed. What a cool party!
Very fun. I know 2 more turning 8 soon that would go for a party like that. Hmmmm...
Post a Comment