I think we've finally settled into something of a school-year routine now. My piano teaching started again last week, along with my music teacher association stuff, so life seems a little extra busy now. It's evident the kids are still feeling their way around a new school and system, as evidenced by L. last week. He is our first grader, and I'm learning that he would much rather play all of the time than tell the truth, obey his teacher or me, or do his class assignments. Our latest little to-do with him started on Tuesday evening when I asked him if he had any homework (there is always a little worksheet on a week-night as well as reading 15 minutes). He claimed he didn't, and when I asked him to show me his backpack he brought it to me a few minutes later with no homework folder. So I believed him. Mistake Number One. The next morning, after I took the kids to school I discovered L. had stashed his homework and his folder behind the bathroom door before he brought me his backpack. Then I got a call from his teacher at lunch (she has the patience of Job) to say that L. was having a hard time getting his work done in school and that he was refusing to do his work. When she asked him why, he said he didn't like work and just wanted to go play. I told his teacher that attitude and behavior didn't fly in our house, that he would be getting a talking-to at home and that he was going to be grounded for the afternoon for not obeying his teacher.
When L. came home that afternoon I explained to him that he was grounded and why and that he needed to go stay in his room. Mistake Number Two. Only ground your child if you can ensure that he stays grounded. Since I was busy teaching I didn't notice him slipping out of the house. When I was done, however, The Convicted Criminal Wanted Poster went right up. When said convict was found playing at a friend's house and asked why he had broken out of prison, his response was that he wanted to go play and he didn't feel like being grounded. So the Parole Board (consisting of both his parents by this time) read him the riot act, paddled his bottom, and grounded him for the next week.
This was effective for getting him to obey his teacher at school for the next morning, but he forgot everything by the afternoon. Since he was mad about having to do his work, he spent his time snapping his crayons and colored pencils in half. I found out about this the following morning when I took him to school (his teacher had called that morning, but I hadn't been able to talk to her before leaving). Sigh. So we had another chat in the hall and I told him he would be doing chores for me to earn the money to replace his vandalized property. Until then, though, he only gets to use the broken bits to do his work.
I also found out from my sister that she had tried to call me on the weekend, but L. wouldn't go get me to answer the phone. He was busy watching his favorite movie and would not call for me, send anyone else to call for me, or even give me a message later. He completely refused to cooperate.
I think a certain six-year-old is pushing on the corral gates a bit. I'm sure I haven't been as strict with him about doing things as the others because maybe I'm still viewing him as being a lot younger than the other kids. Well, The Law is going to land a little heavier from now on!
No comments:
Post a Comment