I have never had the chance to watch robins grow from tiny hatchlings to leaving the nest before this year. On Independence Day I was stretched out on my trampoline when I caught sight of a robin perched on a nest I hadn't noticed before in the crook of our corkscrew willow. As soon as he noticed me watching him he froze, leaving the gaping baby wondering where its dinner was. I've been taking pictures of the tiny brood every other day since then:
Day 1: July 4. According to my online research, these tiny, practically bald hatchlings are truly newborn. Their skin is so translucent you can see their arteries, veins, and organs. The enormous black bulges on their heads are their eyeballs, which aren't even close to opening yet.
Day 3: July 6. Already they are developing feather fuzz. There are four babies. Every time I go out to take a photo both Mr. and Mrs. Robin fly from branch to branch calling an alarm. I try to stay as little time as possible.
Day 5: July 8. I caught Mama Robin on the nest. They are still tiny enough for her to sit on and keep warm. As I took a step or two closer she flew up into the tree, hoping I wouldn't notice the nest. I can tell she is the mama because her coloring is much lighter all over than the male. Male robins have much darker "hoods" on their heads and very dark backs. The female's colors are more muted.
The babies now look like strange porcupine hybrids as their real feathers start to come in. Apparently one of the babies didn't make it -- there is one on the top right side that is face-down in the nest and not showing any of the feather development of the other three. I don't know what has happened to it since.
Day 7: July 10. The babies are so much bigger now and their eyes are opening!
Day 9: July 12. It is possible now to spot the babies in the nest while standing on the ground, although I am still hauling out a kitchen chair to stand on in order to take these pictures. They look so alert. The nest is starting to look cramped! I believe my online research said by about this time that Mama and Dad do not sleep in or on the nest any more. They spend the night on close-by branches.
Day 11: July 14, today. These little ones aren't so little any more! They hardly fit in the nest now. You can also see those tell-tale orange chest feathers showing too. Apparently they will only be in the nest for a few more days now before they start attempting their first flights.
I have several short video clips that I have taken nearly every photo op. I'll share those too.
1 comment:
We have a family of western flycathers who have built their nest on my windchime by my back door. It is amazing to see how fast they grow.
Post a Comment