Thursday, September 19, 2013

Drip Drip Drop Little September Downpour...

I know Colorado has been in the news for the massive dreadful flooding, but before that storm hit Colorado it hit us first. When we have large downpours the park behind our house fills up its own pond. This is the second time in as many weeks that we've had The Pond, and the second time was a doozy. This Pond, incidentally, shouldn't even happen. At the bottom, deepest part of it lies a storm drain that connects via an underground culvert to a drain in our cul-de-sac. This new and "improved" drain was installed through the property line I share with a neighbor and it involved digging up every plant I had in the long flowerbed along our border and storing all of those plants in pots in my garage for a couple of weeks while the city dug a seven-foot deep trench to put this drain in. My flowerbed survived, but I don't think the drain works very well:


Liam and several friends play on the "island" made of an overturned picnic table.

At one corner of the Pond it overflowed the berm down through my flower/weedbed and into my yard.  The only damage really was the reviving of a vinca major patch I've been trying to kill off.

Bronwyn and Liam enjoying the deepest part of the Pond.


That shirt Liam is wearing, along with his undershirt, have not been the same, sadly. They're both now the color of the water. And later that night it sounded like a pool party with the neighborhood teenagers splashing and laughing in the dark. It must have taken a solid twenty-four hours for the water to fully recede.

I know the water has been devastating in Colorado, and we had several homes in our neighborhood hit with unpleasant flooding problems, but we so desperately needed the water. My garden just may make it to the end of the growing season now. My squashes and celery are hanging in there. I've about given up on the tomatoes, though. Once I pull out the good plants, the field bindweed is in for some serious Nastiness.

No comments: