I love bumblebees. I spotted this gal through my kitchen window the other day and spent the next twenty minutes trying to capture some good shots of her. The bush she is visiting is a butterfly bush, although this one seems to mostly attract honeybees, grasshoppers, and hummingbirds. I have a light purple variety in my front yard that monarch butterflies wait to visit until I'm teaching piano lessons so they can distract me and my students with their glorious wings.
| To me, bumblebees are the queens of all bees. |
The "shoulders" on this bumblebee remind me of a polar bear. Except hers are yellow. With a cape.
I thought this was a terrific side view. You can distinctly see each segment of her body.
I think the fuzziness on bumblebees makes them look deceptively cuddly. Being a person who loves to hold/pet fuzzy, furry, or feathery creatures I feel a strong temptation to hold a bumblebee. Even though I know it would end badly.
One of my honeybees was visiting the same flower cluster as the bumblebee (I just assume any honeybee I see in my yard is from my apiary). Not even a queen honey bee could match the furry yellow and black beauty for size.
So much for my attempt to capture one last photo! My subject was off to other restaurants.
No comments:
Post a Comment