Friday, December 23, 2011

Health and Holiday Movies

My blogging has really dropped off since October. It certainly isn't for lack of things to say or report on, but the challenge is simply finding enough time to string together something thoughtful and interesting to say. I can feel that my brain has reached something of a drained state because I am finding I feel stumped over making some of the little decisions that shouldn't require much mental effort. It is really an odd feeling. But I am banking on having a more quiet holiday this year to allow my brain to regenerate some of those brain cells that seem to be AWOL at the moment.

I never before realized how a health crisis can define a family -- their activities, focus, relationships to the various communities to which they may belong. It has been interesting on one level, and incredibly humbling on another, to see the amazing support our family has been blessed with as anonymous people have left gifts of different kinds at our door or sent money in the mail. I have been stunned by the generosity of these people and feel keen regret that I don't get to thank them somehow. Owen remarked the other day after we opened our front door to find a beautiful ham and a fruit basket on the step, "Wow, Mom. People really like us this year." If you're one of those anonymous donors, thank you for blessing our family with your generosity. And thank you also to those who I will be able to thank personally. I love you!!

As far as a health report goes, Justin's surgery was successful last Tuesday. The surgeon reported that he had to take a different approach to it than planned because of where Justin's organs actually turned out to be inside. The incisions have been healing like they should, and half of the staples were removed a couple of days ago. I don't know if the rest of the staples are out now, though. I will have to ask today. Justin's stay in the hospital has ended up being a lot longer than typical because pain levels and a poor reaction to a liquid diet. I haven't been able to spend nearly as much time with him in the hospital this time as when he first went in. I'm hoping today to spend a while there. We don't know yet when Justin will be coming home. I feel very torn: the kids and I are anxious for him to be well enough to be home with us because we all miss him so much, but I don't want him to be discharged too soon either, before he is ready. So we will just see.

In the spirit of celebrating the holiday and having my kids home, I took them to see Arthur Christmas yesterday. What a fun movie!! It will definitely join our family DVD collection when it comes out. We loved the Mission Impossible - type opening sequence. The story arc was a little predictable (come on, this is a Christmas movie!), but some of the twists to get to the end were creative and fun. The character of Arthur is just a good person. He's painted as a bumbling, gentle person who knows he's not the efficient whiz his older brother is, without resenting his apparent low-on-the-totem-pole status in the family business. He is just anxious to make his contribution to Christmas. The voice talent is great: Hugh Laurie, Imelda Staunton (Dolores Umbridge from Harry Potter), Bill Nighy (Rufus Scrimgeour from Harry Potter), Jim Broadbent (Prof. Slughorn from Harry Potter), and James McAvoy (Mr. Tumnus from The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe). I would love to see it again. See the short trailer here or the extended trailer (which gives away a little much) here.

1 comment:

Lorrie said...

tell Owen, People like you every year!