Monday, September 5, 2011

Away to Me!

My husband and I went on a date to the Soldier Hollow Sheepdog Trials today. We've been going almost every year. Those dogs and handlers are so amazing to watch. I think my favorite memory from today was watching the dogs wait by the starting post with their handlers before they were allowed to start their runs. Every dog I watched looked like they were almost quivering with excitement: ears perked high and forward, body crouched low to the ground without actually sitting down and ready to spring forward at any moment, any movements quick and light. And then as soon as the dog was given the go ahead, to watch them shoot straight up the mountainside like furry bullets sets my own heart racing. The crowds would remain hushed throughout the twenty-four minute limits, and I noticed today that everyone around me was anxious for every dog and handler to succeed in driving the sheep through their paces, complete the shed (separating 5 sheep from the remaining 11) and cheering, groaning or gasping as the handler and dog worked hard to get those five sheep penned. The audience wanted everyone to succeed. There was no jeering or booing for anyone, and even if the handler and dog didn't succeed in getting the sheep penned within the time limit there were cheers and applause recognizing the difficult task. That's my kind of sporting event: cheering on the successes and best efforts of everyone involved.

I did giggle to myself at one point because I heard someone behind me say, "Baa Ram Ewe." Do you recognize the movie quote? It's from Babe, the movie about a runt pig who trains to become a sheepdog. That was my introduction to sheepdogs and competition.

2 comments:

Anna said...

on saturday we were sure rootin' for 'meg,' the 2 year old collie in her 1st competition. she ran all over the course. never found the sheep, but sure had the heart of a champion! we'll go back next year and see how much meg has learned in a year. :)

Sherie Christensen said...

A date! And a fun one too! Congrats. I'm hoping for one of those this week--but not to a dog show I don't think. Glad you liked it.