Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Pancake! No, Crepe! No, Pannenkoeken!

OR: A rose by any other name...

While making pancakes (yet again) for breakfast this morning I decided to see if anyone had written a history of pancakes. Why not? There's everything else on the web. There are loads of sites dedicated to this easy, amazing food.

I found a website dedicated to the ubiquitous pancake. Its URL caught my fancy: pancakelovers.com. They have a fun variety of pancake recipes and pancake-related goodies to buy.

And this little tidbit from Wikipedia brought back fond London memories:

"In the Netherlands and Flanders, pancakes are called pannenkoeken and eaten at dinnertime. Pancake restaurants are popular at family restaurants and serve many varieties of sweet, savory, and stuffed pancakes. Pannenkoeken are slightly thicker than crêpes and usually quite large (12" or more) in diameter. The batter is egg-based and the fillings can include sliced apples, cheese, ham, bacon, candied ginger and many other ingredients — alone or in combination — as well as "stroop" (molasses), a thick sugar syrup. One classical Dutch filling is a combination of bacon and stroop."

My parents took us girls to a wonderful restaurant close to their flat called "My Old Dutch." The pancakes there were enormous! And the variety of toppings was grand. I had a difficult time deciding.

Turns out every continent has its own version of the pancake.

Well, gotta go. The last two pancakes are ready to flip. I'd better go pay close attention to these. I usually burn the last pancake or waffle because by the time I finally get the chance to sit down and eat I forget about what's on the griddle. Gee. Eating breakfast really does make you smarter!

1 comment:

Sherie Christensen said...

I cannot figure out how I missed your previous two posts while thinking I was caught up! I loved hearing about the rest of your CA adventure. I am really in awe of you even trying to keep honey bees. And I think it's great that some people still have pancakes for breakfast and not just for dinner like us. We're never as creative though. Maybe I should make them huge and offer a greater variety of toppings.