I know life isn't supposed to be fair. That was never part of The Plan. But somewhere along the way I figured that if I mostly did what I had been taught was healthy that I'd be in good shape. Generally, I eat well, get a reasonable amount of sleep most nights, avoid caffeine (except for chocolate, and that doesn't count) and tobacco and alcohol, and drink plenty of water. I am an optimist, and try to live a good clean life.
Yeah. Whatever.
We're in the process of getting new life insurance. This means new blood work, and I'm thinking I should come out great, qualifying for the most preferred level of insurance. Then my agent calls to say that thanks to a high cholesterol count, I get dropped not one, but two levels!! What?? And what is up with my cholesterol count anyway? I walked around the house mad for two days.
So I started researching what sorts of non-drug measures I can take to deal with this. The best solution? Quit eating. Everything. One doctor on one website has his patients completely give up anything with wheat and cornstarch and fructose, among other things. Others say avoid stuff with trans-fats (already trying to do that) and anything with cholesterol already in it, which means anything that comes from animals. I think that leaves cardboard for fiber and dirt for minerals. At least, that what everything left is going to taste like.
Well, I do know I need to exercise more. As a stay-at-home-piano-teaching-mom, I do way more sitting than I should. We're also in the depths of winter, which means I avoid going outside unless I have to. Cold weather and I are on chilly terms. And yes, I know that's a stupid pun. I'm leaving it in. So part of the challenge here is to make myself do something I don't like anyway: exercise. I have had two good exercise weeks followed by one non-existent exercise week. The jury is out on this week so far.
And frankly, I think I'm going to stick to the Word of Wisdom diet a little more closely. And visit my doc. And complain futilely about the life insurance racket on my blog. Okay. I'm done now.
4 comments:
High cholesterol runs in my family and I have it too. My older brother had it so bad the dr. said he was a walking heart attack. He all of a sudden changed his eating habits and exercised like a mad man and took medication. He looks great! I lack motivation and mostly that's because it seems every exercise I do causes me some major pain and so I have to keep rotating things I do to the least painful one I can find. Sigh. Good luck!
I should also mention that I loved the title of this blog. It made me smile.
Good post, good luck, and you're already good. Enjoy all your goodness.
Hey, we can go a-beeing together this summer! yay! (our bees have been both Carnolian and Italian. This year we'll bee getting a new Carnolian nuc) Come March do you want rasberries? This comment is too long, I'll call . . .
I remember from my nutrition class in college that saturated fat intake increased blood cholesterol more than dietary cholesterol intake. So cutting back the butter may be as important as watching the egg yolks. But genetics can conspire against you and tip the balance... I wonder what my levels are.
Post a Comment