I'm finally getting beans, cukes, and probably some squash things planted today outside in my garden. We love stir fry (okay, well *I* love stir fry) so I'm going to plant ONE summer squash. And maybe ONE zucchini. That's all anyone ever needs. I'm also thinking of just sticking vegetable seeds in any empty patch of dirt. Better veggies than weeds, right? And I have lots of seeds that just need to be stuck in the ground somewhere. They don't do anything if they're sitting in a packet in my garage. And some are a few seasons old (I'm not confessing HOW old here, though!) And the tomatoes have been planted out too. The six Celebrity tomatoes that I planted last weekend are looking a little sun burnt, so hopefully they'll pull through. I'm also trying a new-to-me tomato variety called Hamson DX-5212. I only put in two of those, so we'll see how they do. The peas are only coming sporadically, but that is my fault (my brain isn't on the summer gardening-remembering-to-water-things schedule yet) and my chickens' fault -- they think there must be bugs in the boxes and so they have scratched around a bit in them.
I have to confess to raising my voice and swinging my legs at them to get them out. Nothing painful, of course. I don't want to kill my chickens! But they need to be frightened of my planter boxes, not enticed by them. They still escape regularly, darn it. I'm really going to have to do something about the chicken wire around their coop because it's getting so I can't twist wires back together any more.
And my planter pots are needing some serious attention. I haven't done a single thing with them yet this year. Sigh. I've usually got them going with stuff by now. Maybe tomorrow I'll tackle that.
You need to go have a listen to
Stephanie Davis' song called, "Harvest Time." That song is about me. She writes wonderful music and has a fun website about her ranch in Montana.
1 comment:
Whadayamean late? We in Sanpete haven't even planted outside yet. It's rather pointless until May 31 or the first of June. So, you're doing great!
Post a Comment