I wanted to share a few recipes for things I've been preserving...
Spiced Peach Syrup
2 1/2 Cups fresh pureed peaches
2/3 Cup sugar
1/8 tsp cinnamon
1 TBSP lemon juice
1 TBSP cornstarch
2 TBSP cold water
Combine peaches, sugar, lemon juice, and cinnamon. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes (stir frequently). Combine cornstarch and cold water. Gradually add to the simmering peaches, bringing back to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened to your liking. Yield: 3 1/2 cups. I put this in freezer containers and popped them in my deep freezer. We've almost used up one jar. It thaws nicely in the microwave and tastes fresh.
I also should mention that the original recipe called for 2 cups of water to be mixed in with everything at the beginning. I thought that would make the syrup too runny, so I didn't add it. I didn't miss having it in there either. Just thought you'd like to know. Maybe you know why I should have added the water.
Vanilla Peach Syrup
5 Cups pureed fresh peaches
2 Cups sugar
2 TBSP lemon juice
2 tsp vanilla
Combine puree, sugar, and lemon juice in a pot. Bring to a boil and then let simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in vanilla. Pour into hot jars and process for 20 minutes in a water bath canner. (I let the mixture cool and poured into plastic containers to put in the freezer).
The two syrup recipes are great over ice cream, pancakes, waffles ....
Dilly Beans
Makes enough pickling brine for 5 - 6 pints
2 1/2 Cups water
2 1/2 Cups cider vinegar (can use white vinegar if necessary)
1/4 C salt -- canning/pickling/non-iodized salt is best
1 gallon or so washed, ends-trimmed-off green beans (I measured 1 gallon by stuffing them into a one gallon freezer ziplock bag)
2-3 peeled cloves of garlic per jar
1 head dill plus 1/3 stem per jar
Pack green beans into jars. Add 1-3 garlic cloves and dill. Boil the brine and pour over beans, leaving 1/4 inch head space. Process 10 minutes in a boiling water bath.
This is my mother's recipe. These are so tasty and crunchy. As this is my first time making them, I don't know that I have a lot of advice to offer. If anyone knows why many of my beans are wrinkly now I'd sure like to know! My mother's beans aren't wrinkly. Maybe the wrinkly goes away after a while. My next project is to do something with the loads of cucumbers filling up my fridge. I wish I had my Grandma Jessie's pickle recipe. My mouth waters remembering them.
No comments:
Post a Comment