Tuesday, June 23, 2009

June Ag Report

I decided it was probably time to update this page a bit and pass on the latest gardening news. Just about everything I started has now found a home somewhere in my yard. This morning I cleaned up a corner bed by my house and planted random plants in there. There are snap dragons, Bells of Ireland, a tomato, three peppers, some alyssum (it's looking rather sad, actually. I'll be thrilled if any of it survives), some asters and probably a thing or two more that I can't remember.

Everything I planted in my garden boxes is coming along famously now. The tomato plants are getting huge and I actually have a few blossoms...on the start I bought at Home Depot. But I'm confident the ones I started from seed are going to do well. The radishes think they're in heaven, so I keep having to thin them. If I do peppers again from seed I'm going to start them in January or something because they're all still little things. I don't know if I'll get anything from them this season.

There are green beans, cucumbers, yellow squash, and pumpkins all poking through the soil now, along with some beets and carrots. The beans practically exploded from the soil. They must be happy. The peas are done now (that's where the pumpkins have gone in), and I'd better harvest my two lettuce heads before they bolt.


Here is my latest experiment: upside down tomatoes. I guess there are some pricey upside-down tomato kits on the market. I'm trying the DIY version with ice cream buckets and one milk jug. They just got planted this week, and as you can see I'm also making good use of our defunct trampoline:

No comments: